Staining countertop - Advice needed

Users who are viewing this thread

IJeffG

Reaction score
So, I installed a Moen drinking-water faucet a couple weeks back, on our brand new Beverly Blue quartzite countertops...Yesterday, while straightening up for a party, I noticed a dark ring around the faucet. The ring is not unlike some other natural patterns in the quartzite, so no one was paying this ring any attention as it grew. Its well over 6" in diameter now. the round nature of the "stain" is clearly being caused by some interaction with the faucet. I suspect it was lubricant on the Moen-included O-ring for the decorative trim piece that is at the bottom.
IMG_4235.jpg
IMG_4234.jpg

Advice needed: Is this removable? Did Moen ruin our countertop? I can buy another O-ring, or perhaps clean this one with alcohol or something...

Help. As soon as I remove the stain, I will also be sealing the entire countertop...which is something I've learned our fabricator and builder did NOT do.

Thanks in advance for any guidance!!

UPDATE: We removed the faucet...which resulted in my RO system spewing a lot of water under the sink area. Once we got that cleaned up, we headed for brief shopping trip and came back to a much larger stain, including one around the kitchen faucet.

I'm now thinking the O'ring was not "sealing" the hole in the countertop....and water soaked past the O-ring and in to the unsealed edges of the hole. Then, when I sprayed water underneath, I soaked the stone from below, and it soaked through to the surface as well. Does this sound probable/feasible to you all? It spread way to fast to be oil weeping in to the stone...

I'm going to try a small space heater under the counter to speed up evaporation...if the top is sealed as it should have been, the only way water can evaporate is from underneath, right?

Jeff

Last edited:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
So, I installed a Moen drinking-water faucet a couple weeks back, on our brand new Beverly Blue quartzite countertops...Yesterday, while straightening up for a party, I noticed a dark ring around the faucet. The ring is not unlike some other natural patterns in the quartzite, so no one was paying this ring any attention as it grew. Its well over 6" in diameter now. the round nature of the "stain" is clearly being caused by some interaction with the faucet. I suspect it was lubricant on the Moen-included O-ring for the decorative trim piece that is at the bottom.
View attachment 90432View attachment 90433
Advice needed: Is this removable? Did Moen ruin our countertop? I can buy another O-ring, or perhaps clean this one with alcohol or something...

Help. As soon as I remove the stain, I will also be sealing the entire countertop...which is something I've learned our fabricator and builder did NOT do.

Thanks in advance for any guidance!!

Jeff
That's a new one for me. You might wanna call moen.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I guess it could be Moens fault or could be another cause some kind of cleanner or something or plumbers putty. maybe it will dry out . the fact you made it grow says it might just be water and dry out

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
there is putty that is supposedly stain free for stone. stain looks the same as he showed but OP did say it grew in hours. of cource no offence but someone might try claiming the deep pocket faucet manufacture is at fault .
I was on a job where the counter tops were damaged by plumbers putty , it was the first thing I thought of was when stone gets damaged stain around faucet hole. Only reason I didnt comment originaly is Im assuming he would have told us such an obvious cause.

Reach4

Reaction score
Weird. I hope the stain disappears as the material dries.

So is it your theory that the stain was from water introduced above the counter surface (from cleaning etc), or that the dispenser faucet leaked RO water inside of the counter hole or above the hole?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Weird. I hope the stain disappears as the material dries.

So is it your theory that the stain was from water introduced above the counter surface (from cleaning etc), or that the dispenser faucet leaked RO water inside of the counter hole or above the hole?
you might not have seen it sounds like OP, updated or edited post explaining how he thinks it happened "water spewing a lot under sink"

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Quartzite is a natural stone and like most stones, they are porous. The surface is polish and treated to resist water, but the drilled holes is raw stone. It has nothing to do with the faucet brand. As you stated it probably is water and it might slowly dry out and dissipate. The drilled holes need to be sealed. Not sure what you can seal it with, maybe a coat of epoxy. With the bottom of the slab as unfinished stone, the moisture may dissipate from the bottom. Try a hair dryer on it to warm up the stone or if you have a heating pad, low heat and leave it on until you see a change.

When I worked at my church we had a marble statue installed outdoors on a slab of granite, the same stone used in cemeteries. Holes were drilled into the granite to anchor the 800lbs marble statue with concrete anchors. In less than a year, the same staining was occurring radiating from the drilled holes.

IJeffG

Reaction score
To be clear, I am the homeowner. I no longer believe Moen's faucet is to blame. I believe its water from cleaning the countertop getting in to the faucet hole and getting absorbed by the stone. Its only a theory. I put a small heater under the sink to try and dry from the "unsealed" side, but nothing changed. Here is a picture of the current stain.

Here are two pictures from a few minutes ago. The first shows the current stain...the second is the bookmatched area on the otherside of the sink as reference.

IMG_4241.jpg
IMG_4240.jpg

And this last picture shows how they sealed the sink to the counter...that's plumbers putty, right?
IMG_4244.jpg

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
More likely silicone or siliconized caulking. It helps to hold the sink to the top. A heater from the bottom may not get it warm enough. Get the hairdryer on high heat and blow it right onto the hole.

Though marble/granite tops have a real good sealer infused into the surface, I still give my tops a treatment, maybe one or twice a year especially around the faucets and soap dispenser where water and soap detergents can accumulate. Like waxing the car. After several months of use and using this product, you be surprised what sticks to the stone for what comes off the surface using a rag with this product. The wife usually sprays the surface with a granite daily cleaner, kind of like a detailer spray.

1675013368353.png

Last edited:

IJeffG

Reaction score
More likely silicone or siliconized caulking. It helps to hold the sink to the top. A heater from the bottom may not get it warm enough. Get the hairdryer on high heat and blow it right onto the hole.

Though marble tops have a real good sealer infused into the surface, I still give my tops a treatment, maybe one or twice a year especially around the faucets and soap dispenser where water and soap detergents can accumulate. Like waxing the car. After several months of use and using this product, you be surprised what sticks to the stone for what comes off the surface using a rag with this product. The wife usually sprays the surface with a granite daily cleaner, kind of like a detailer spray.

View attachment 90454
I have sealer ready to go...but shouldn't I wait for this to dry before "sealing" in the moisture? And, would multiple coats of this work for sealing the hole...or should that be coated with epoxy or something?

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply since I do not sit on this site all the time. I would wait for it to dry out some. If it lightens up that will be a good sign. Perhaps a call to the fabricator may know something. I'm sure this has happened to others.

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
I have sealer ready to go...but shouldn't I wait for this to dry before "sealing" in the moisture? And, would multiple coats of this work for sealing the hole...or should that be coated with epoxy or something?

Do not seal anything unless you decide the stain is not a problem and you can live with it. Any hope of removing it can only exist as long as the stone is untreated.

If it's just damp, it will dry out with time - then seal. Unfortunately, I have a feeling the stain won't come out.

It looks like the stone wasn't sealed, if so, the installers should make good unless they left specific instructions to seal it before use.

My mom had granite countertops installed, and we sealed that thing like 5 times the first year because even a water ring from a glass would stay for a day as the stone absorbed the water. Eventually, the whole countertop just stained from everyday use. It's junk. Sometimes certain pieces of stone just are garbage.

When I remodel, I'm going to use a Quart countertop, which are non-absorbent and don't need to be sealed and also won't stain easily, at least not from stuff like grease.

John

IJeffG

Reaction score
We had granite tops in our previous house. Never any issues. We've been in this house less than a month. Another stain showed up across the aisle next to the range top...much much smaller...but it too is not fading.

The stain "seems" to be getting fainter. not smaller, but fainter. But, we even wonder if its perception.

For you pros...is this a manufacturing defect? I'm sure sealing is mentioned in the micro-small print we got at closing...I haven't checked yet...but this has to be regular water around a faucet cutout...not a stain from sitting oils or "abusive" use.

The slabs used for this counter are gorgeous...and we don't want to loose them to something silly.

I've read that someone recommended a torch to dry it out...I would think that kind of heat would crack a 3cm slab, would it not? I mean temps could get high enough to boil any moisture out, for sure...but wouldn't it damage the stone?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
We had granite tops in our previous house. Never any issues. We've been in this house less than a month. Another stain showed up across the aisle next to the range top...much much smaller...but it too is not fading.

The stain "seems" to be getting fainter. not smaller, but fainter. But, we even wonder if its perception.

For you pros...is this a manufacturing defect? I'm sure sealing is mentioned in the micro-small print we got at closing...I haven't checked yet...but this has to be regular water around a faucet cutout...not a stain from sitting oils or "abusive" use.

The slabs used for this counter are gorgeous...and we don't want to loose them to something silly.

I've read that someone recommended a torch to dry it out...I would think that kind of heat would crack a 3cm slab, would it not? I mean temps could get high enough to boil any moisture out, for sure...but wouldn't it damage the stone?
You wouldn't get it hot enough to boil the water inside of the countertop you'd have to be silly to do something like that. If someone mentioned a torch they were just saying to heat it up. A heat gun or anything would work, just to raise the temp and dry the water out WITHOUT boiling it.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
there is putty that is supposedly stain free for stone.

I was on a job where the counter tops were damaged by plumbers putty , it was the first thing I thought of was when stone gets damaged stain around faucet hole.
I had used plumber's putty that purported to be non-staining. I had to make up a poultice of baby powder and acetone to remove the stain.

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
I am not a plumber. I would call the manufacture for advice. They deal with countertops all day every day.

Oh ... and my vote is that the stain is due to soap residue.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I am not a plumber. I would call the manufacture for advice. They deal with countertops all day every day.

Oh ... and my vote is that the stain is due to soap residue.
what manufacture ? the putty , the faucet, rock quarry?
I had used plumber's putty that purported to be non-staining. I had to make up a poultice of baby powder and acetone to remove the stain.
Im talking about staining putty not for use on stone, and non staining putty as well I cant verify nor deny whether all putty will stain all stones or not Ive used non staining with no complaints but softer stones Im nervous .
Ive got 22 year old Granite countertops I dont know what my wife uses not a proffesional sealer or anything we arent clean freaks we use kitchen pretty heavy it has no real stains on it.
I dont think that a water stain that just needs drying. Personaly I wouldnt monky around with it Id tell installer and seek a proffesional solution I just wouldnt want to screw it up. I found a guy local to work on my bath vanity but wound up with my own solution to a differant problem .
Let us know how you handle this I really would like to know how it happened and what fixes it.
BTW, On the job we had similar staining from putty they ripped it all out and our company ate it as far as I was told. commercial job probebly 5 or 6 counter tops it was horrible finding out one of the guys did that

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
what manufacture ? the putty , the faucet, rock quarry?

Im talking about staining putty not for use on stone, and non staining putty as well I cant verify nor deny whether all putty will stain all stones or not Ive used non staining with no complaints but softer stones Im nervous .
Ive got 22 year old Granite countertops I dont know what my wife uses not a proffesional sealer or anything we arent clean freaks we use kitchen pretty heavy it has no real stains on it.
I dont think that a water stain that just needs drying. Personaly I wouldnt monky around with it Id tell installer and seek a proffesional solution I just wouldnt want to screw it up. I found a guy local to work on my bath vanity but wound up with my own solution to a differant problem .
Let us know how you handle this I really would like to know how it happened and what fixes it.
BTW, On the job we had similar staining from putty they ripped it all out and our company ate it as far as I was told. commercial job probebly 5 or 6 counter tops it was horrible finding out one of the guys did that

The countertop manufacturer. I do agree tho … if it can de addressed through warranty it should.

IJeffG

Reaction score
OK. They have to come out to reinforce a fissure in the slab...I'll push them hard on the stain. I'm sick thinking this is permanent.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks