Softener question

Users who are viewing this thread

Jobu the man

Reaction score
So I'm in the market for a softener. Just moved to Las Vegas after moving away years ago. My home has a Krystal Pure 3/4 ft softener on the loop in the garage that has an Autotrol 255/740 controller that is dead. The home is 1300 sq ft and has 2 baths with one having a jacuzzi tub. It's just the wife and I but we get guests that come and stay. The Las Vegas Water district's report for 2021 have a hardness of 16 and iron as 50 ppb.

I have looked at the different calculators online and suspect that I need a 1.5 cu ft system. I have contacted numerous companies here and the only calculations they use for sizing is asking the size of the house and how many people are in it. They all advise me to get a 1 cu ft system. The latest one I contacted today sells a Clack valve and when I asked how much salt it uses in regeneration is 9lb. All of the companies are asking about $1400 for their system.

I have read this site for years for advice, I have about 10 tabs open on my browser open now for threads on softeners, so I'm looking for some advice now. Any local companies that anyone can recommend, or, I know this is a tough one, an online company? I don't have any problems doing diy. Thanks in advance.

Reach4

Reaction score
Note the Autotrol probably has its input and output reversed from the one you are probably going to install. Click Inbox, above.

Jobu the man

Reaction score
Thanks Reach4, I saw on one of the threads that the input and output were reversed on Autotrol. Thanks for the input.

Reader90

Reaction score
Thanks Reach4, I saw on one of the threads that the input and output were reversed on Autotrol. Thanks for the input.
I live in Henderson. Water is city, 22 to 24 grains of hardness. I have had three systems installed now, all 3 have a separate whe home carbon system, then a softener. 2 of the systems are Clack valve based, other is Fleck/pentair 5810 valve based.

Clack systems are more prevalent here for some reason. I connected with distributors here and had a plumber help with install. Unfortunately, I have not found and reliable/knowledgeable firms in LV at a reasonable price.

Jobu the man

Reaction score
I live in Henderson. Water is city, 22 to 24 grains of hardness. I have had three systems installed now, all 3 have a separate whe home carbon system, then a softener. 2 of the systems are Clack valve based, other is Fleck/pentair 5810 valve based.

Clack systems are more prevalent here for some reason. I connected with distributors here and had a plumber help with install. Unfortunately, I have not found and reliable/knowledgeable firms in LV at a reasonable price.

Hi Reader90. Thanks for the information. It does seem that Clack is the predominate softener head here. Any chance you let me know which distributors you used?

Thanks alot

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks