Small leak at well seal tee

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I recently had a new well pump installed. The installer replaced the old plumbing and put in a well seal with a stainless tee. After running water for a while we have determined that there is a very slow leak coming from the base of the tee fitting at the top of the well. Over a period of about 12 hours, a small 1" puddle of water will form on the top of the seal. One concern is that I think the well seal would have to be lifted in order to gain access to the pipe below it so that the fitting could be tightened. If that were to be done, would the installer be required by law to re-chlorinate the whole well?
Another option I've considered is caulking around the tee and the seal so that any leakage would simply fall back into the well. Is there any harm that could come from this idea with such a slow leak?
Note: This photo was taken before the caulk was applied around the wires and the vent installed in the other outlet.

Attachments

• Well Tee 1.jpg
    Well Tee 1.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 77

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
.............Another option I've considered is caulking around the tee and the seal so that any leakage would simply fall back into the well. Is there any harm that could come from this idea with such a slow leak?
Note: This photo was taken before the caulk was applied around the wires and the vent installed in the other outlet.
Caulking won't help. To stop water the seal must be behind the leak where the pressure would push the seal against it. Lately SS fittings seem to becoming more common as what it looks like the tee is made of. The problem is the SS material is very hard and the threads do not conformed as easily if it was brass to brass, copper or iron pipe. Just leave it a while as minerals in the water might slowly plug it up.

Reach4

Reaction score
Is there a warranty period?

Do try to figure a way to keep insects out of the wire hole. I would be inclined to use duct seal.

Do screw in a vent into the empty hole. That will allow air to pass while excluding insects.

Also consider sanitizing your well and plumbing once things are working.

Reaction score
Yes, there is a one year warranty on the labor. The caulk was put in the wire hole after the photo was taken and the vent was also installed. The well was thoroughly chlorinated and is still has a little chlorine odor in the water. I think I'm going to wait until the end of summer and then check it to see if it is still leaking. If it is, at that time, I'll get them to come and fix it. I really don't want to go through chlorinating the well again at this time and that small a leak won't hurt anything. Still I don't want it there forever.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I would wait a few days as well to see if it seals itself. But Stainless to Stainless or to plastic threads do not usually seal over time like the old galvanized did. There is no rust to help seal the leak.

Reaction score
For now I need to get the sediment cleared from my water and then restock my stored water before the well has to go through chlorination again. I am assuming that would be required if the seal is taken off. So I need to wait a while anyway. I do intend to contact the installer and apprise him of the situation.

Reach4

Reaction score
I was picturing that the tee and well seal would be lifted a foot or two. Pipe wrench on the tee. Pipe wrench on the drop pipe. I am thinking maybe 1/8 turn.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks