Single Tank vs. Dual Tank

Users who are viewing this thread

DontcallmeShirley

Reaction score
Between 2 systems but want to make sure I'm barking up the right tree here. I don't want to replace this thing for another 20 years if possible.

Family of 4 with 26-28gpg (Thanks Minnesota) water depending on what aquifer the city is pulling from. 270 gallons per day right now, but my daughter is young so want to figure for 300 gpd for when she gets older. Extra overhead is nice since we have company over fairly often as well. 3/4 line into the current softener. Pressure from the main is about 50-60 lbs.

I figured for a 2.5 cuft of resin using 6-8lbs per cuft to regen about once a week(ish).

Both local companies I talked to told me they'd usually only do a 2.5 cuft system for commercial use and I'm nutty for even asking.

Anyways:
Clack WS1 On-Demand Water Softener
•13x54”(U.S.) Resin Tank
•2.5Ft.3 10% CL Aldex
•FB Control
•Upflow Brining
•1” full port bypass
•18x40” brine tankwith safety float
•5-year warranty on the valve, 10 years on tanks, 1 year on labor
FINAL PRICE INSTALLED: $ 2,195.00

Fleck 5800XTR2
•13x54”(U.S.) Resin Tank
•2.5Ft.3 10% CL Aldex
•Touchscreen XTR2 Control
•Upflow Brining
•Stainless Steel Bypass
•18x40” brine tankwith safety float
•5-year warranty on the valve, 10 years on tanks, 1 year on labor
FINAL PRICE INSTALLED: $ 2,395.00

Seems weird the Fleck is more expensive than the Clack from what I've read here.

What type of injector and BLFC should I be requesting for a system like this? Anything specific I missed?

I'd like to do this once and do it right.

Should I scrap the larger tank all together and look at a dual tank system instead?

Thanks a ton for your help!

DontcallmeShirley

Reaction score
Attached is the spec sheet from another dealer on the Promate 6. I just went off the resin capacity chart that was posted on these forums, but can the numbers on this sheet be trusted? They told me if they did 2.5 cuft of resin it wouldn't be covered under Hellenbrand's warranty...so 2ft or 3ft only options there.

Attachments

• promate 6.0 specs.pdf
    805 KB · Views: 65

Reach4

Reaction score
I agree with your calculations mostly, except I think you are at 2.5 cuft at 240 gpm. That includes "high hardness compensation"

Where do you get that 280 gpd number? Your water bill would include non-softened usage, particularly lawn watering water. If that is from your November/December bill, and the readings were not estimated, I guess you take long showers.

Your Clack quote looks good.

DontcallmeShirley

Reaction score
I agree with your calculations mostly, except I think you are at 2.5 cuft at 240 gpm. That includes "high hardness compensation"

Where do you get that 280 gpd number? Your water bill would include non-softened usage, particularly lawn watering water. If that is from your November/December bill, and the readings were not estimated, I guess you take long showers.

Your Clack quote looks good.
Thanks Reach.

I just took the average monthly gallon usage for the last 2 years during months where the hose bibs are off and divided by 30. Only thing that should be pulled out of there would be the APEC R/O under the kitchen sink, but that's negligible.

Do I need to worry about making sure I get a certain color nozzle for the 2.5 cuft Clack setup?

Reach4

Reaction score
1. RO is normally fed by soft water if available.
2. I don't know the Clack injector nozzles, and I would presume that your dealer does. With upflow brining it is important that the injector not be too big.

Consider spending a little extra for gravel, which your dealer may be cheaping out on you.

DontcallmeShirley

Reaction score
1. RO is normally fed by soft water if available.
2. I don't know the Clack injector nozzles, and I would presume that your dealer does. With upflow brining it is important that the injector not be too big.

Consider spending a little extra for gravel, which your dealer may be cheaping out on you.
We just have an under the sink RO, and the kitchen sink and hose bibs all branch off the main before it hits the softener.
He told me verbally that quote includes a gravel bed, I'll get it in writing though and ask him about the injector.

Reach4

Reaction score
Sounds good. Search for opinions on whether it is better to feed RO with soft water or not.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks