Single Shower Tankless for 3/4" Existing Gas Connection? Small apartment tankless?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Is there an available low BTU tankless or hybrid tank/tankless unit suitable for retrofit applications in apartments, with existing 3/4" gas service?

These apartments typically have a single bath with a single shower, and then a kitchen sink. Maybe a dishwasher (which could be plumbed to cold). That's it.

Typically the failed existing tank water heater is 20 or 30 gallons, with a single wall vent to the roof, 3/4" gas service, and if there's a drain pan it is just a drain pan. There's no external route to run a TPR, but there's often a kitchen sink nearby that in theory could receive condensate. The typical install location is a closet, with combustion air via a vent in the closet door.

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
The smallest gas tankless are about 150,000 BTU input. A 30 gallon gas standard WH's are about 30,000 BTU input. Until you get the spec on a tankless unit, it is not a yes or no at this time if the unit will work with a 3/4" gas line. Gas tankless prices have come down quite a lot to almost the cost of a standard tank., however, installation cost can be more. You'll need to look at the spec what the fresh air intake requirements are. Most will have a minimum closet size to pull air from the room. With an input of 5 times more BTU's, the existing exhaust pipe may not be larger enough. Tankless requires maintenance, periodically the heat exchanger needs to be cleaned to reduce the build up of hard water deposits. Tankless units use micro processor controls and it's an another point of a possible failure.

If you are the building maintenance contractor or property manager and a problem arrises, a standard tank is simple, readily available and can be repaired or replaced by any plumber or knowledgeable person.

I like to reference sites that write a good explaination of the basics for tankless.

Reaction score
There are many point of use water heaters. Emax are the ones we use.
I use the point of use heaters for single sinks. And the EEmax tank booster for undersized tank heaters or slow solar thermal or heat pump system.
Here with a shower though, that demands a "real" heater.

Reaction score
The tankless units have a burner range, perhaps 10,000 to 150,000 BTU.
Are there any units that in software can be limited to 100,000 BTU max for example,
thus allowing an existing gas line to work at reduced overall heating capacity?

1655499180114.png

Reaction score

The RU130iN is 130,000 BTU. The company tells me they may in the future offer a way to (in software) configure it down to lower numbers, in 10,000 BTU steps.​

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Zero experience, but you might be interested in, say this:

That website has other small options, just go to natural gas tankless water heater and sort by price.

I checked a few larger name brands, and they have 120,000 BTU/hr as their smallest offering.

Cheers, Wayne

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
The OverThinker,
Late seeing this post, You might want to look very close 3/4 going to single 20 or 30 gal waterheater is not that typical and You might have a 1/2 inch line ? 3/4 would likely be shared with a range . also If the apts are on a single or combined gas system (seperately metered) could effect as most tiny 20 gal w/h wouldnt be supplied with 150,000 or so btu capability or even 100k

Reaction score
The Noritz NR662-OD is 120,000 BTU maximum.
That's 5 gallons per minute, 1/2" gas line, and OK up to maybe 20 feet of 1/2"
or 40 feet of 3/4" per specs.

I'm still seeking a dynamic model that can be tuned to a lower maximum BTU based on examining the flame quality for a given gas pressure.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Call your gas company they should know what gas flow of meter and regulator. What else is gas? Then can decide if service is capable.

Reaction score
Call your gas company they should know what gas flow of meter and regulator. What else is gas? Then can decide if service is capable.
Calling my gas company has a similar effect to calling Google, or trying to speak to NBC by yelling at my television.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks