Shower leaking through ceiling below. The repair with a JackRabbit drain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Sometimes I will get a call about a leak showing up in a ceiling below a bathroom. What I find when checking with a moisture meter may be that it's right under the shower drain. Sometimes those drains were installed with plumbers putty, and over time it' loosens up, especially with people in the shower walking back and forth in the shower. One drain I like is the Sioux Chief JackRabbit with allows me to tighten up with a screwdriver. You don't always have access to thread on a nut using pliers after the shower base has been installed, so this is a God Send for a plumber.

shower-drain-leak-terrylove-04.jpg

I was able to pull this one out by hand. Normally I start with trying to unthread the locking nut below. This one wouldn't budge.
Next I try sawing the inside, being careful to not cut into the pan itself, but looking to cut the locking nut below the pan. I often do that from above.
For some reason, this plastic drain was so weak, or I was so strong, I was able to pull it through from the bottom.

shower-drain-leak-terrylove-05.jpg

My new drain, installed with some clear Silicone, gets installed and a new section of pipe inserted through the drain.

shower-drain-leak-terrylove-06.jpg

The rubber donut in dropped into place. A little liquid soap helps it to slide over the pipe.

shower-drain-leak-terrylove-07.jpg

A bit of paper towel in the drain to prevent the tool from dropping down the drain. And yes, I've done that too. It totally sucks when you're that close to being done.

shower-drain-leak-terrylove-08.jpg

All snugged up and the paper towel removed.

shower-drain-leak-terrylove-09.jpg

Pop on the drain.

shower-drain-leak-terrylove-10.jpg

A shielded coupling as part of the repair to prevent pipe shifting. You can see the screws that allow tightening. The white on the bottom of the p-trap was from where it had been leaking before. Now it's time for a ceiling repair. I'll let the Wall Doctor handle that one.

jackrabbit_drain2.jpg

Mike Rock

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. I always debated what I should use when installing a drain, putty or clear silicon.
Does one have an advantage over another? I thought putty has been used for years with no issues.

degscell

Reaction score
Oil-based plumber's putty is not recommended for acrylic shower bases. I think the putty degrades the acrylic over time. I just know that from reading the instructions to a shower pan we had installed. It suggested a latex or acrylic caulk. Our plumbers used KwikSeal and it's been holding.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks