Shower drain blockage

Users who are viewing this thread

Kevin21

Reaction score
Moved to a home in Atlanta 6 months ago and found a slow drain in the master shower. I was able to get the water moving again but my concern is the buildup in the pipe (see picture). It appears to be some kind of mineral build up and I am not sure what is the best way to remove it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_20200121_160040.jpg

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
It all soup scum and hair that has built up. There might be a strainer below it. With a long nose pliers, start pulling it out. if it is PVC pipe below, a black slime will build up on the pipe surface. Sometimes it is so thick that you can peal it off like as if it is a liner. After removing it use a bottle brush to clean the pipe and some bleach for odor control.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's probably soap scum, but if they used a mastic to bond the tile, it could be mastic that has dissolved out from underneath the tile.

Chip out some. If it's all smooth and doesn't have any sand, it's soap scum or mineral deposits. If it's grainy, it could be mastic. Cement based thinset doesn't dissolve, mastic does, at least in normal water.

TonyaGilmore

Reaction score
It could have a strainer beneath it. Begin removing it with a pair of long-nose pliers. If there is PVC pipe below, a black slime will form on the pipe's exterior. It can sometimes be so thick that you can peel it off like a liner. After removing it, use a bottle brush to clean the pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks