Short life washers on corrugated supply line

Users who are viewing this thread

Vtxrider

Reaction score
Washers on my sharkbite corrugated supply lines don't last. Are these washers specifically made for these or can I use an alternative one. Had them fail on copper corrugated lines too.

Vtxrider

Reaction score
I think you are talking about the end that screws onto the WH nipple. If the old washer is removable, I see no reason you cannot replace the old one. They are widely available item.

I have. These particular washers don't flatten out. They break apart while still attached to the nipple and supply line. Then it leaks. Last one after removing corrugated line was in 3 pieces of which a piece went into tank. We're talking a year old. Not sure where sharkbite gets them but my question is what other supplier makes a washer for this application that's more durable.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Are you removing the connection because it started to leak? You didn't mention what this connection is for. It it's a water heater nipple, those nipples are steel and can tear up a thinner washer such as used for spigots and washing machine hoses.

Since this is your second time, it is possible your are over tightening the connection. Tighten down the nut until you feel it bottom out when using a wrench. A tad more than finger tight. Then turn it no more than 1/4 to 1/2 turn. Turn on the water and check for leaks. If there is a little weep of water tighten the nut ever so slightly.

These washers are that flat and large to seal the nut and the flex pipe since there is no compression ring. You can try other washers types.

The washers are neoprene and is fairly tough material. To me they are being torn apart because as you tighten down on the nut, it is tearing the washer. If you have silicone grease, coat the washer with it so it acts like a lubricant. This will allow the nut to slide over the washer, thereby preventing it from being damaged.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks