Users who are viewing this thread

Mindquake

Reaction score
Great info here. Glad I stumbled on it. Thanks to all!!

I’ve got a 2400 gal. water storage tank as my water source. My issue pertains to pumping water from this storage tank up to the pump/pressure tank combo unit at the house 50-ft away. The intake line runs 3” underground, level for 50ft through 1.25” PVC, up 6" to a 1.25" check valve, then reduced to the 1" pump inlet after a 90. It's a 1HP Shallow Well Jet pump/8gal pressure tank unit (cheap Harbor Freight Drummond) running @650GPH. The outlet is also 1” reduced at 10ft to 3/4 pex going into the house. Our water usage is very conservative, about 100 gallons per day. I have been through 3 cheap (Home Depot) PVC check valves and 2 pumps (burned out) caused by rapid cycling, water hammer over an 18-month period. I am not finding any particles of dirt or sand in the check valve or water pipes; only serrated pieces of the PVC check valve.

It sounds like the CSV kit may be what I need, along with a quality pump. I have searched this forum and most here seem to be dealing with submersibles and well pumps. Any suggestions on a quality jet pump; i.e., brands, HP, GPM, inlet/outlet size for upgrading? Any other comments re pipe size, check valve type and placement, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

Greenmonster123

Reaction score
1 hp jet pump with only an 8 gallon tank I am not surprised you burned up two pumps. Get a brass check valve and CSV will help. The 8 gallon tank will work with your new set up. 1 hp is probably overkill

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Like Greenmonster says, get a metal, spring loaded check valve and a CSV1A, or a PK1A complete kit. I like Goulds jet pumps like a J10S, but the CSV will make even cheaply built pumps last longer.

Mindquake

Reaction score
Like Greenmonster says, get a metal, spring loaded check valve and a CSV1A, or a PK1A complete kit. I like Goulds jet pumps like a J10S, but the CSV will make even cheaply built pumps last longer.

Attachments

• Pump.jpg
    Pump.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 672

Mindquake

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies, greenmonster123 and valveman!

When I posted the photo of my current pump, the following didn’t get included! Don’t mean to beat a dead horse, but one more clarification, please and thanks!!

As greenmonster123 pointed out, the existing 1HP pump/8 gallon tank combo was probably overkill, causing pump to cycle on/off causing burnout, and that the CSV and a quality check valve should eliminate that issue. I will replace that check valve now.

My question is when I replace this pump, which size pump would be more efficient: a quality 3/4HP or 1 HP pump with the PK1A kit as shown, or would a 1HP quality pump with CSV1A and a larger tank be more efficient longterm? Or maybe it’s really apples and oranges here!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks