Setting a toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

John28

Reaction score
I'm going to be setting a new toilet in a bathroom I just tiled, and was curious how the pro's secure the base? I've read to seal with caulk or grout the whole way around, but always questioned this?

Really don't like the idea of sealing the whole base, if a leak should develope, I'd like to know, rather than sealing it in. So I'm thinking of just sealing or grouting the front and down each side a bit as not to enclose the whole bottom?

What's your view, and I'm thinking grout to match the tile rather than a caulk, as I used grout on my pedestal base which looks good.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Code in many places requires a 360 degree seal, others not. That said, Terry seals all the way around the front 3 sides, not in the back. Sealing is to keep water out as much as to keep it in. All that water that gets used to wash the floor doesn't need to be seeping in under the toilet and onto you sub flooring. Use polyseamseal, because it comes up clean and doesn't mark the floor much like caulk does. a little tube is enough.

loctite-tub-tile.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
As noted, use Polyseam or other latex based caulk around the toilet base. A related tip: when you put your flange bolts into the flange, secure them with a extra nut. This hold them upright and firm and makes setting the toilet over them much easier. Also remember that the flange bolts should not be over torqued. Use your body weight to compress the toilet into the wax ring, then the flange bolts basically hold the toilet in place. Of course, the caulk also helps secure the toilet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks