Sealing stainless and brass

Users who are viewing this thread

Todd1561

Reaction score
My apologies if this has come up before, I’ve been searching for quite some time without success. I’m going to be joining a type 304 stainless steel female NPT with a brass male. I’ve read that for 2 stainless fittings special Teflon tape is needed to prevent galling. But I can’t get a clear answer on if this still a problem for stainless/brass. Can I use regular old white Teflon tape to seal stainless/brass or do I need something else? This is for potable water.

Thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
Can I use regular old white Teflon tape to seal stainless/brass or do I need something else? This is for potable water.
I tend to prefer a more premium PTFE tape. One non-obvious advantage is they are less filmy and easier to handle. This is not to say that there are not good white PTFE tapes, but the cheapest, thinnest, least dense tapes are white too. That is what I think you were referring to as regular.

Chefwong

Reaction score
The taper of the thread is what seals it - so tape or dope is just LUBE imo. I don't have the answer on galling mitigation but last time I did something similar, I used a galling lube. Have not had the need to remove it, so no real data to advise if it worked

Todd1561

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the input. I wound up using the regular old (25 year old!) Teflon tape I’ve had forever. Seemed to work fine, no leaks. There was also no galling, I took one of the fittings out to check. Attached is the final product, automated whole house water cutoff to prevent floods. I’ll have water sensors around the house at common leak points that connect back to an Arduino to control the valve.

Attachments

• 2A19A28A-2E5A-447E-87FB-1F3DB321EBDB.jpeg
    2A19A28A-2E5A-447E-87FB-1F3DB321EBDB.jpeg
    98.4 KB · Views: 271
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks