Scratching my head...Drilling a plumbing wall

Users who are viewing this thread

TheGreek

Reaction score
I have a silly little question...

I have a 1-1/2 inch vent pipe/drain pipe for a sink that runs from the upper plate to the lower plate. I cannot get access to the plates to come up/down into a stud bay. Therefore, I need to pass a 1/2 inch cold water pipe past a 1/-1/2 inch vent pipe. The wall is 2x4 and not 2x6 unfortunately.

How does one do that without having one or the other pipe way too close to either wall side? Or, do I need to place some very large steel nail guard plates at the cross over point?

Thanks.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your description is a bit confusing. But I take it you need to pass a 1/2" copper (or PEX) water pipe (5/8" OD) over a 1-1/2" Schedule 40 plastic DWV pipe (1.9" OD) within a 2x4 (3-1/2") deep stud bay, and avoiding the cross over is not feasible.

That's fine to do in that case, if you do it in the center of the stud bay, away from the studs on either side, and away from any other blocking or framing. Anyone working on the wall should locate the studs or framing and restrict fastening to those locations. That's their responsibility.

If you're worried, you could put a large nail plate across the stud bay (say 4" x 17" if it's 16" o.c. framing). But could make a bulge in the wall finish, so I'd let it into the studs to be flush. I have heard that's a large nail plate like that is a good idea for the plastic in-wall toilet tank that wall hung toilets use.

Cheers, Wayne

Reach4

Reaction score
You may be able to run 3/8 OD soft copper tubing. That is more than enough for a lavatory, and maybe even for a kitchen sink.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks