Sand trap rather than filter?

Users who are viewing this thread

JimLS

Reaction score
Have see a few things on sand "trap" filters that work by slowing down the water enough that the sand sinks to the bottom of the pipe and into chambers. I have some sand in my supply and have a filter screen but it clogs frequently. Hoping to put together a sand trap to keep things running longer between cleanings. I haven't seen much on sizing but did some calculations that indicate (if I did them correctly) that a 4" PVC pipe about 4' long should allow adequate time for the particles to settle to the bottom when the flow is about 15 GPM. Anyone have any links to info on this or has tried it?

Here is one of the links I found about it. They used 3" pipe but I think their flow rate was less.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Look up "spin down filter". It may be what your are looking to do. Is this for domestic water or irrigation?

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I like that homemade approach. I could envision some other configurations, including having a vertical pipe, with the inlet on the side but low, and the sediment drain at the bottom with a valve to blow out the sand. Output would be at the top.

I think most 3 and 4 inch fittings are not pressure rated, not to say that DWV fittings are likely to fail at 80 psi.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Some folks will use a hydro-pneumatic style pressure tank to trap sand. Use the high side port for the inlet and the top port for the outlet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks