Sand point Well

Users who are viewing this thread

Kipawa

Reaction score
Good evening new poster here

I got a sand point well I need to pull out and redo . Here are details of the current sand point>

22.5 feet down from surface. The top of the well is burried 4 feet in the sand for frost proofing reasons. Water in pipe at 14.5 down. I am using a 36" screen 1 1/4" diameter point with a 6 inch drive point. 42" overall length. 8 slot. The brand is a Johnson continuous slot point. Its worked well for the last 9 years. I use shallow well pump to draw water with a check valve installed at the pump. In normal times the water level surpasses the top of the point by 4.5 feet. I cannot go pass the 22.5 feet for I hit bedrock or a hard crust. The problem>

In April my lake drops 6 to 7 feet. Now that I am retired and spend more time there I run out of water in April until the lake starts to rise again in late April. I am really close the top even at the lowest point the lake drops too therefore I am in need of a foot to 6" more of water in that pipe. I would like to fix this problem. The dealer that sells the points has recommended the following>

1. They would install a pick up tube (copper 3/4" pipe) in the point so the draw is near the bottom of the point. I am not sold on this.
2. Tape the top of the point with electrical tape to choke off the top of the point. Not sold on this either!
3. Can I use as shorter point and still maintain current volumes?
4. Can I install the point in a casing and take off the drive point to shorten up the point. Some locals do this.
6. . Can I install a casing with some sort of shorter wider screen....keep in mind I drain back in the fall to winterize.......I don't want to use a foot valve. I simply drain my pump and take off the check valve at the pump and it all flows back nicely into the well when I shut down in November.
7. Further have others installed a submersible pump in a casing on a shallow well? 22.5 feet down

I would really like to solve this problem of running out of water in April. If you can help its very much appreciated. Thank you .

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A larger casing with a foot valve at the bottom of the drop pipe would be best. A submersible has the motor on the bottom and won't let you access the bottom couple of feet of water.

It only takes about a foot of that screen to let in 10 GPM. But I am afraid tape on the outside would get pushed off when driving the point. A shorter point may work if you can find one, or cut off the bottom and make a new point on the one you have.

Kipawa

Reaction score
A larger casing with a foot valve at the bottom of the drop pipe would be best. A submersible has the motor on the bottom and won't let you access the bottom couple of feet of water.

It only takes about a foot of that screen to let in 10 GPM. But I am afraid tape on the outside would get pushed off when driving the point. A shorter point may work if you can find one, or cut off the bottom and make a new point on the one you have.
Thank you. With a footvalve how do I drain back when I shutdown in November without taking out footvalve. Is there such a thing as a screen footvalve without a spring in it that holds the prime. I would install my check valve at the pump like it is now with my point screen Thanks

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A foot valve at the bottom of a drop pipe will let you access a much smaller amount of standing water in the well than a point well. You can install a bleeder orifice a couple inches above the foot valve, which will drain the system when there is no pressure. It will suck air at the bleeder when the pump is running and you will lose a few inches of available water, so keep the bleeder as low as possible.

Kipawa

Reaction score
A foot valve at the bottom of a drop pipe will let you access a much smaller amount of standing water in the well than a point well. You can install a bleeder orifice a couple inches above the foot valve, which will drain the system when there is no pressure. It will suck air at the bleeder when the pump is running and you will lose a few inches of available water, so keep the bleeder as low as possible.
Thank you. The dealer is pushing the idea of a pick up tube in the sand point screen.....so it picks up water at the bottom. would this work.......I guess I may have to use a shorter pump.....they have the 24" screen.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks