Samsung Split Unit wiring question

Users who are viewing this thread

Enosez

Reaction score
I'll start by saying that Ive been out of the trades for a while, well before split units became popular so my experience with them is limited.

I am installing a Samsung AR18KSFPDWQX in my basement.
I have a few questions when it comes to the wiring, the instructions on the Samsung are not clear:
  • Obviously the feed from the disconnect goes to the outside condenser. From the condenser do I run 14/2 to the inside wall unit? Is that the power for the wall unit?
  • As for the Communication hook up? Is that 14 as well or can I get away with t-stat wire?
  • And finally from the name plate on the condenser, Im assuming a 20amp breaker will suffice?
Thanks

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
A 1.5 ton heat pump would usually be ludicrously oversized for the heating and cooling loads of a basement. Even 3/4 tonners are usually oversized for basement loads unless it's a walk-out basement with NO insulation. Are you sure you really want to do this? (Or is it already too late?)

Stuff

Reaction score
The spec sheets have most of what you want.
Outdoor unit shall provide 208/230V power to indoor unit via 14 AWG X 3 interconnected power cable
- their x3 means two wire and ground.
Interconnect control wiring shall be 16 AWG X 2 shielded wire between outdoor and indoor units
- some have used 18 gauge thermostat wire but have heard that longer lengths have had problems.

If it says max breaker amps of 20 then you use 20. Some stupid inspectors will flag it with 14/2 cable but it is allowed for a/c circuits.

Enosez

Reaction score
Thanks Stuff.
I assumed that.
Would you know if the indoor unit gets its power from the condenser.
Also the communication cable between the two. Does that have to be 14 as well?

Stuff

Reaction score
Yes, indoor unit gets power from outside unit. You call it communication cable, Samsung calls it Interconnect control wiring (see above).

Enosez

Reaction score
Thanks Stuff.
I swear when I first saw your reply , I didnt see it as it is now.
All I saw was "The spec sheets have most of what you want."
So my apologies for asking the same twice.

All is done except for the mini-condensate pump.
That is stumping me.
Any experience or thoughts with that?

Stuff

Reaction score
What pump? The inside head is usually mounted high on the wall then the drain goes immediately outside and down to water the flowers.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
What pump? The inside head is usually mounted high on the wall then the drain goes immediately outside and down to water the flowers.

Gravity draining to the outdoors doesn't work in a basement, when the head is mounted below grade.

Still can't understand the notion of installing a 1.5 ton mini-split in a basement though. In a typical basement even the minimum-modulated output of that thing is probably at or above the design cooling load, and something like half the design heating load, even if the basement is uninsulated.)

Last edited:

Stuff

Reaction score
I forgot about the basement thing. Must have difficulties running the lines too as designed to go out the back.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks