S-trap?

Users who are viewing this thread

fullhousecabinet

Reaction score
We just had a home inspection done and the inspector said that the kitchen sink was plumbed with an S-trap. I thought an S-trap went down through the floor. This drain goes into the wall. Does this look correct or not?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Attachments

• IMG_20180320_084751200.jpg
    IMG_20180320_084751200.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 329
  • IMG_20180320_084808331.jpg
    IMG_20180320_084808331.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 323

Reach4

Reaction score
Does this look correct or not?
It is definitely not correct. I am not sure of the semantics as to whether that is a pure S trap, or if it has some other name. After a P trap, there needs to be 2 pipe ID or more of horizontal, and then a vent. At or after the vent, the pipe can go down.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Put another way...the drain line after the p-trap (called the trap arm) cannot turn down before it is properly vented. It can, and should still have negative slope to it, but vertical turns are not allowed.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
They need to cut the base of the cabinet then. Done the way they did it will siphon.

low-p-trap-cut-1.jpg

The trap should come out straight from the wall.

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks again for responding to my issue. We will definitely have them take care of it before the close of escrow.
If you want the house, you might check to see what a reasonable discount would be to compensate. Depending on the connection at the wall, this might be just a matter of cutting a hole, and using some slip (not glue) couplings.

I would post a side view of the connection at the wall, and somebody might be able to estimate how easy/hard it would be to make the change. You want this kind of view:

images

Yes, there will be a hole in the bottom of the cabinet. Is that area below hidden? When cutting, while it is unlikely there is something under there to damage, start slowly enough to check.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks