Rur199e conversation

Users who are viewing this thread

Ahreeves

Reaction score
Conversion
I would like to put the RUR199e outside unit, in my 8' high, vented crawl space.
My thinking is that in the winter the unit may freeze. By bringing the unit inside the crawl space I'll gain 20 degrees or higher ambient temperature and the bonus of re-piping the PEX inside, not exposed when it was an outside application, keeps it from freezing the recirculation line.
The trick is to make an exhaust system that directs 98% of the combustion gases out and away from re-entering that space. Including, placing the vent cap away from reentering the home by windows or air inlet areas.
My thinking is by mounting the unit away from the exterior wall by 5', give or take. I will build a sheet metal connection to the units existing exhaust vent onto the cover of the unit so that the double-walled galvanized 4" piping and using a standard side wall vent cap will remove all the exhaust gases when the unit fires up.
Advice, please.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Guess you never thought of a power failure happening the heater and lines freeze up. I agree with Breplum not a good idea. Mixing galvanized with condensing flue temp is a also a bad idea it will rust out in no time. And open crawlspace with all the humidity in South Carolina would be hard on the electronics.

Last edited:

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
While I'm told that CO poisoning is a relatively painless way to die, I'm averse to the "dying" part myself, fire hazard notwithstanding.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks