Run new gas line under eaves and across flat roof

Users who are viewing this thread

econjon

Reaction score
I am installing an overhead heater below a balcony overhang. I need to bring a new gas line to the heater. The house is finished but I do have access to the crawl space and a 3/4" tee I left as a just in case near the main.

My plan is to run black pipe/galv from the tee through a sleeve in the exterior wall to the outside, turn and go straight up to run under the eaves, then across backside of a parapet wall then across ~5' flat roof (over the balcony) to a leaded roof jack, and finally down to a ball valve near the heater. Connect heater post valve with flex.

I am pretty confident I can secure the line to the eaves and parapet wall, but my question is what I should do for the 5' run across the roof the leaded jack? I've also thought about doing this with CSST allowing for the legs below eaves to be steel.

novara clean roof1.jpg

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would start by asking your home insurance company if they will cover fire damage that was caused by gas piping that was not installed by a trained, certified and insured by a contractor. I would also ask my building department what the local code is. You don't play around with gas.

econjon

Reaction score
Hey James, Thanks for replying. I was the general on the remodel and did some of the pipework inside myself. All of which was pressure tested and inspected. I appreciate that an expert in the trades such as yourself might be hesitant to recognize an amateur such as myself as capable of this project, but to answer your previous questions: I am allowed as homeowner to do this as I am pulling the permit and yes it will be inspected by local building authority. As such, yes it is insurable under my homeowner's policy.

So, now back the question...as inelegant as it may be to run gas along 5' section of flat roof, is there any guidance out there for best practice? Our local code doesn't speak to method of securing, supporting, and/or passing pipe through the balcony overhang.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
There's supports to put on a deck made of rubber or they use redwood . Follow code, pull permit and test. Not unusual to have gas line on roofs of commercial jobs. Don't think you'll have issue.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
I think once in a while common sense can be used. No trip hazards, not able use the pipe as a clothes hanger or chining bar, protect from any impacts. For the flat roof support every 2 ft or so that should a person ever decided to put there weight on it... Twenty years from now someone else could own the home with no common sense. Look into fire sprinklers hangers for support. Since you have done gas pipe before and pass inspection, any seismic code requirements?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
on a 5 foot run no more than support at each end could possibly be needed. A gas pipe strapped to a wall or under eaves on a roof . are all pretty regular stuff. nothing wrong with a chat with building department if available . I would install a valve at the future stub and a left right nipple for testing and convenience

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks