Rinnai Tankless

Users who are viewing this thread

DoctorPepper

Reaction score
Hey there, new to the forum here. I just ordered a Rinnai RU199en and it seems I’m going to need to run a new 1-inch line to it. The Rinnai has a 3/4 inch fitting for the gas line; would I just use a 1-inch reducing coupling at the point of entry? Or can I run the 1-inch line to the wall where it’s mounted then use 3/4 flex line from the wall to the gas inlet on the unit?

Thanks in advance!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
you could stub out wall 3/4 use a big enough flex for the btus. if your close within a few feet if its more than 5 foot I'd reduce at the shut off valve. sometimes I'll use a reducing 90 exposed at the wall that way anyone can tell in the future what size piping I had run. might be some technicalities

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks Jeff! So run the 1-inch line to the stub out, then 3/4 from the stub out to the tankless?
Sure Doctor , thats what I would do you wont starve it for gas the flex connector will be less than 1 inch or even if you are running solid gas piping with no flex its pretty standard practice around here

DoctorPepper

Reaction score
Yes it'll be fine.
One other question for the thread. I’ve read mixed comments about flex pipe vs black pipe. I’m assuming the 20-foot run should be black pipe? I’m working in a crawl space, so flex pipe would be a little more forgiving, but if it creates other issues I’ll just tough it out with the iron. Thoughts?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
You'd have to look it up. What's your pressure at the meter? If anything the CSST might need up sized, but CSST will work.

DoctorPepper

Reaction score
You'd have to look it up. What's your pressure at the meter? If anything the CSST might need up sized, but CSST will work.
That’s a good question, I’ll have to get a read on it first. But I’ll probably just end up running black pipe. Once I’m through the wall it will only be two 90s. The rest is a straight shot. Thanks again!

Reach4

Reaction score
If your gas company will provide 2 psi gas, you can use a regulator at each gas appliance to drop down to 7 inch water column (about 1/4 PSI). Some will. More won't do that, but if you can, a given size pipe can carry a lot more gas.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks