Reverse Osmosis Waste Water back to well casing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Beets

Reaction score
We are on well water. I am contemplating installing a 450 GPD RO system to produce sufficient water for drinking and for gardening. Actual usage would likely be around 100 GPD. Our well has never ran dry, but some neighbors have problems. Thus, I'm pretty cautious about how we use our water. RO systems are known to be fairly wasteful. I was wondering about running the RO waste water back to the well. I know it would drive the salinity of the water up going to the house, but I'm guessing it wouldn't go up too much given the consumption of water by a family of 4. Is this a good or bad idea and why?

Reach4

Reaction score
There are zero waste systems that feed the rejected water to the hot water.

I think your idea would be OK too, assuming you are using a lot of other water too. The RO unit will be dealing with increased TDS due to your recycling of the water. If you use a lot of other water, that increase would be small.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
There are zero waste systems that feed the rejected water to the hot water.

I think your idea would be OK too, assuming you are using a lot of other water too. The RO unit will be dealing with increased TDS due to your recycling of the water. If you use a lot of other water, that increase would be small.
interesting are there any kind of regulations about sending water back down? I would suspect an issue but never dealt with wells, and don't know if any safe guards are in place to protect water underground .

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks