Retention Tank Options

Users who are viewing this thread

ChrisCCCC

Reaction score
Hello.

I am wanting to install a water retention tank as an emergency water supply on my well system. If my pump fails, I can drain the potable water from the tank directly. Wanting to integrate the tank to the end of my treatment system, and flows into the house to ensure the water in the tank constantly gets replaced, and not stagnant. Attached an image for reference.

Looking at a tank like this:

Does this plan make sense? . Thank you in advance.

Tank.png

JoeJee

HVAC Contractor
Reaction score
I am not a plumber but I think that is a viable option as long as it is potable. Need a vacuum breaker. Your emergency water source line needs to be very short. Like 6” or less.

ChrisCCCC

Reaction score
I am not a plumber but I think that is a viable option as long as it is potable. Need a vacuum breaker. Your emergency water source line needs to be very short. Like 6” or less.
Thanks for the feedback. Planning to include a vacuum breaker, and the water in the tank would all be potable.

Why does the emergency line need to be under 6" long? Would a longer line cause too much resistance when I'm draining it by gravity?

Reach4

Reaction score
Consider running some water out occasionally. There may be sediment, and your big tank is doing double duty collecting that..

Also, that should also take the dead-end / stagnant-water problem that I expect that JoeJee is concerned with.

If the pump dies, and you actually are drawing emergency water, you will want to open a valve/spigot connected to the output of the big tank. That will admit air.

ChrisCCCC

Reaction score
Consider running some water out occasionally. There may be sediment, and your big tank is doing double duty collecting that..

Also, that should also take the dead-end / stagnant-water problem that I expect that JoeJee is concerned with.

If the pump dies, and you actually are drawing emergency water, you will want to open a valve/spigot connected to the output of the big tank. That will admit air.
Thank you for the help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks