Replumbing well water intake and pressure tank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Shaunqc

Reaction score
Hi there,

I've appreciated all the knowledge on this site, first time posting.

I'm going to switch the plumbing around for my pressure tank. The galvinzed pipe is rusting out and I want to switch it to PEX. A couple questions.

The well pipe is 1" PE, I believe, the OD is just under 1.5". (I've attached a photo.) Do I need a specific PE adapter to transition to PEX? (I read somewhere that the ID is a little different than PEX.) If anyone could post a link to the right part that would be very helpful.

And my water is slightly acidic (6.8pH) and very hard. I was thinking of using poly plastic fittings rather than brass, just to be safe in regards to corrosion. Does that seem like the best way to go?

Cheers.

Shaun

Attachments

• IMG_3632.jpg
    IMG_3632.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_3633.jpg
    IMG_3633.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 107

Reach4

Reaction score
Yes, it would fit, but you could do better. You don't want plastic female threads. Brass or stainless would usually be a better choice. But there are plastic barbed to PEX adapters that would be good, and keep your all-plastic idea.

Looking at your setup, I have some questions. I think you have a check valve there. Usually, with a submersible pump, you only want a check valve at/in the pump. Then there is that micronizer. Is that functioning in your setup, or is it left over from an earlier time?

The pipe coming in is probably SIDR. The fittings that fit into that are variously called barb, insert, and more.

What is the second photo, with the yellow handle? That seems to show a different place.

How about another photo to show the area near the wall better? There seems to be a gadget there in the path. You will want to be easy on the pipe where it comes thru the wall.

Last edited:

Shaunqc

Reaction score
Hey. Thanks for your thoughts.

Here's a couple photos, one of the whole setup and then one showing the pipe coming out of the wall. So we just moved into the house so have no idea about the previous plumbing--I'm not sure if that micronizer works--I didn't even know what it was. (Newbie plumber here.) So I'm assuming there's a check valve within the well--though should I not assume that?

The previous second photo I had included for the pipe identification. It's a PE pipe coming in--I've included a photo of what it is (in French).

I've searched for plastic barb to pex adapters, but can't find anything. Can anyone share a link to such a product? I would also like to make a 90 turn as soon as possible out of the wall, if there is an insert barb/to PEX turn.

Cheers.

Shaun

IMG_3636.jpg
IMG_3635.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-10-22 at 8.34.33 AM.png

Reach4

Reaction score
You would want to get rid of L, H, and D, unless there are some special factors that I don't know about.

Attachments

• img_1a.jpg
    img_1a.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 104
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks