Replacing old Crane tub spout

Users who are viewing this thread

tech3500

Reaction score
The diverter is failing in the tub spout and it leaks water, a lot of water when the shower is on. House was builted 53, and I can't find a replacement spout that will fit this. Well I did find one solution on a site, but it is almost $400. I'm hoping there is a better replacement option, or a cheap fix.

Thanks for your time!

Attachments

• 20230403_051913.jpg
    20230403_051913.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 102

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Leaking to you mean behind the wall or water does not stop coming out of the spout when the lever is pulled up for the shower?

If water continues out of the spout you might get lucky using vinegar. With a squirt bottle full of vinegar, squirt the vinegar up the spout as much as you can. It may take days and many attempts for any hard water deposits to dissolve. Try to pour some down the pull up lever. At the end of the diverter is a disk like part and it is worn our or coated with hard water deposits.

It doesn't have to be the same spout. Off the shelf universals will work wether threaded on or a slip joint with a set screw.

Until you know what type of pipe there is that is connected the the spout, can't do much. A 1953 home it is copper or galvanized pipe.

tech3500

Reaction score
Thanks Florida, I will try the vinegar trick! Hoping for the best. Yes, sorry I should have explained in more detail. Water is leaking out the spout when it is diverted for showers.

This is basically what's behind the spout.

Just this tiny nipple adapter, with hardly any pipe behind it.

Attachments

• image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 98

tech3500

Reaction score
I've included two pictures. Unscrewing the spout gave me more than I expected. Expected to see one of those nipple adapters that these old crane spouts used.

Turning it got me the spout, the adapter and the copper pipe that it's all attached to. I think my best bet at this point is to just slap a new pipe in so I don't have to deal with this adapter, then get a new spout.

The pipe is 3/4. So I'm looking at 3/4 nipple extensions. Length from the back plate in the wall (after the threads) to my wall/hole is about 3 inches. So I'm thinking Total length should be about 4 to 6 in., depending on the spout I get and its minimum and maximum stub out to the wall.

Any advice is welcome.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks