replacing garbage disposal, brass p trap broke.

Users who are viewing this thread

weimin

Reaction score
Hi!

Stumbled on this site from google searching. First time doing any of this, took all day and it works but i think i did something wrong because that is the type of person I am.

Garbage disposal broke so I went to replace it. The p trap (learned that today) and pipes are brass. Not knowing anything, I took off the garbage disposal and when I started moving the brass pipes, the piece that goes from the p trap to the wall broke off. Now I realize why the home inspector said that I should be looking into replacing the brass pipes.

The home depot guy showed me a kit that matches exactly what I had so I bought it (brass). I noticed there is also a plastic kit. The home depot guy said to get the brass kit since I already have brass and I just went with it. The brass is expensive!

Now my question, can I replace brass (I have 4 more sinks that now I am planning to replace as I see what looks like rust spots) with the plastic p trap?

The pipe that comes out the wall (discharge pipe) is metal, there is a metal nut that screws on there that the kit didn’t come with so I reused the old one. When I looked at the threads it looked like the installer placed plumbers putty around the threads?

Can i just use the plastic nut that comes with the kit to screw onto the metal threads of the drain pipe? My google searches worry me because the results say plastic onto metal threads can result in leaks.

I’m sorry for the long post, it’s 4 am in chicago.

Included picture of my garbage disposal install, never done anything like this and wanted to brag a little.

Thanks!
Wei

Attachments

• IMG_7705.jpeg
    IMG_7705.jpeg
    155.4 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_7704.jpeg
    IMG_7704.jpeg
    202.3 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_7703.jpeg
    IMG_7703.jpeg
    350.4 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_7702.jpeg
    IMG_7702.jpeg
    523.9 KB · Views: 123

Reach4

Reaction score
Plastic nuts onto steel should not cause problems. If you did want a metal nut at the wall, they do sell those separately. You can mix and match brass and plastic.

Plastic is more durable.

Be glad that you have slip joint traps rather than glued traps.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Nice installation! I dont think you did anything wrong using brass, We still use brass regulary look under sink at a hospitol, restuarant , school etc. I prefer installing plastic cheap, easy , holds up very well . Did I mention its cheap?
Brass or plastic is fine . Dont worry about the plastic holding up or the brass holding up easily changeable and youll get good use out of either maybe not 50 years

weimin

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your comments. Yes, I agree the brass was expensive. I will be upgrading the other brass lines and will definitely try plastic next.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
you did it yourself and it looks like good work so learn a little and on to next sink !

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks