replacing CIP roof vent with PVC

Users who are viewing this thread

Jetboy55

Reaction score
When I replace the CIP in my house, I want to replace the vent through the roof also. Will the device that provides the hole
in the roof and seals to the CIP (it's rubber of some kind) also fit PVC, so I can just remove the CIP and install the PVC? Thanks.

Reach4

Reaction score
I figured out that CIP was referring to cast iron pipe.

The vent boot/flashing may or may not be resilient enough to adjust for the difference in diameter.

Do you know you have a plastic or rubber vent boot? It could be lead, if you have not looked.

If you do want to swap out your roof vent, consider a roofer for that. A vent flashing is a special shingle.

Jetboy55

Reaction score
No, I don't know the exact material of the roof vent, its just a straight pipe that sticks out of the roof about 2 feet. I think it was
black rubber of some kind. There is too much snow on my roof to go look at it right now.

Reach4

Reaction score
Is that 3 inch pipe or 2 inch? In cold areas, they use bigger pipe to keep it from closing up due to moisture freezing for a long period, and closing the path.

2 inch PVC is 2.375 inch OD.
shows some dimensions for CI. https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/cast-iron-soil-pipe-dimensions-d_1751.html

There is a good chance that you can shove PVC thru the hole in the existing rubber or flexible plastic boot, even tho it the PVC is probably a bit bigger.

Jetboy55

Reaction score
It is a 3 inch pipe, if I remember correctly from when I put a debris cap on it last summer.

Myrastomean

Reaction score
I'm not a roofing expert, but I can try to help answer your question. From what I understand, you're wondering if the rubber seal that connects the CIP roof vent to the roof will also work for PVC. It really depends on the specific vent and the size of the PVC pipe you're using. Some rubber seals are designed to fit specific sizes of pipes, so you'll want to make sure the one you have is compatible with PVC. If you're unsure, I'd recommend reaching out to professional roofers in Winston Salem NC for advice. They'll have the expertise and experience to help you choose the right vent and ensure a proper installation.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks