Replacing Anode Rod in 2016 Whirlpool Hot Water Heater

Users who are viewing this thread

bill_r_59

Reaction score
My mother has a 50 gallon Whirlpool hot water heater (E50h46-45) that was installed in Spring 2016 in Delaware. The water comes from a well; and there is also a salt based water softener in use. The sulfer / rotten egg smell has become quite bad.

I have read the solution is to replace the magnesium anode rod with an aluminum zinc rod. I have also read that since a water softener is in use, it must be a powered anode rod. Which of these methods would be recommended? If so, what size? I have read that 3/4 would be best.

Or would it be better to replace the water heater, perhaps with one that does not contain a magnesium anode rod but uses an aluminum zinc anode rod (if they exist)?

I know ZERO about plumbing. My husband would be doing the work. He is extremely handy and has any tool that exists in the world.

Reach4

Reaction score
I would consider switching to a Ceranode powered anode, if you can get the old anode out.

Another alternative, that is surprisingly popular, is to remove the anode, and put a 3/4 brass plug in the hole.

There are cheaper anodes than the Ceranode, and I feel confident they would be better than a brass plug.

If you cannot loosen the old anode, no sense buying a replacement anode. You may be able to cut down on the smell by setting the WH hotter.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Just take out the anode rod and get a 3/4 plug and plug it off.....

90% of the time an aluminium rod will also stink to high heaven too

I know this because I have also made this mistake before..trying to make
some customers happy and it all went south after a few months I came back
and removed the new rod too..... the heater is still working fine after probably
15 years now......

Even though its a crappy Whirlpool heater
the water heater will still probably last 15 years on well water due to the
fact the pressure is so low...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks