Replacing a bidet with a "pedestal" sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Phil Parsons

Reaction score
I'm looking at replacing a bidet with a "pedestal" sink, quoted because the base is large enough to surround all plumbing and is a stand-alone unit. The bidet was never actually installed, but all plumbing is through the floor. A correct bidet plumbing would have the p-trap below the floor, but I've seen suggestions that the maximum allowed drop from the sink to a p-trap is 24", although I've seen other jurisdictions modify code to permit this type of retrofit. It's not possible (easily) to relocate the existing plumbing.

Phil Parsons

Reaction score
It seems that Canada still uses S-traps for some fixtures. I guess if it fits, it's an option.
An S-trap was my first thought to slow the velocity until I started investigating any side affects of double trapping. A pure S-trap I would not use, too risky, but I might go for an additional P-trap vented which would end up being a vented S-trap.

Reach4

Reaction score
Canada allows traps below the floor. The allowed drop before the trap is bigger than US codes. I remember a scan of Canadian code that allowed more than a meter drop to the trap for a kitchen island.

Phil Parsons

Reaction score
It seems that Canada still uses S-traps for some fixtures. I guess if it fits, it's an option.
Unfortunately not, S-trap is not allowed anywhere except for an "S-trap standard". It took a lot of digging to find out that "trap standard" refers to "the trap for a fixture that is integral with the support for the fixture", such as a toilet.

Phil Parsons

Reaction score
I found the answer. Section A-2.4.9.3.(2) of the Canadian Plumbing Code (2015) illustrates:
upload_2021-6-12_12-40-6.png

The current installation does not have a CleanOut as indicated on the underfloor part, but adding one to the vertical would be a piece of cake. 1.2 metres from the base of the sink to the trap weir is just over 47", plenty of space for a pedestal sink :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks