Replace Toilet with 15" Rough In

Users who are viewing this thread

SeePlanet

Reaction score
I spent a good time looking at all of the posts here and have learned a lot about rough in's and toilets. I was hoping that I could get a little guidance on my particular situation so that I can be as prepared as possible and not make ordering mistakes.

I am looking to replace the toilet below. The angle I took the photo makes it look like the tank is at an angle, but it isn't. As you can see I have a 15" rough in and I am looking to replace it with an elongated Toto Drake toilet. Why? No real reason, just liked the look of it. I am open to other suggestions as I most likely will be adding a Toto bidet for the wife. I guess my main question is around the 15" rough in and what my possibilities are.

1. Would this toilet be a possible replacement? If so, this one is 12" so would that mean that I would add an extra 3" gap from the toilet to the wall making it 5", correct?
2. Would a Toto unifit adapter help in this situation if I wanted to go to a 12" toilet and have more variety? If so, which unifit adapter would I choose and how would that affect the distance from the toilet to the wall?

Overall, I think I have enough room in the bathroom to make this swap. There is 15" from the toilet to the bathtub on one side and the door, which is to the right of the photo, has plenty of room. So does the other side with the box in the photo.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Toilet.png

SeePlanet

Reaction score
Thanks @Terry for the reply. Can you help me understand how you got to 3.5". Additionally, if that gap was too large, is that where another toilet with the unifit adapter would work? Which one would you choose to keep the 2" or limit that gap as much as possible? Thank you sir!

Update: After reading a bit more, is it fair to say that I have a couple of choices, I could either get a 14" unifit adapter and keep the gap with the back wall fairly small or I could buy a 14" rough in toilet and deal with a potential 3" gap (2" + 1"). Or am I off?

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
THere is no standard for how much of a gap there should be behind a toilet. Generally, you don't want it sitting flush with the wall to allow some air circulation in case there's any condensation.

Most of the Toto toilets that are designed for the UniFit adapter have about a 3/4" gap behind them with a designed rough-in of either 10, 12, or 14". So, if you have a true 15" rough-in, that extra inch, you'd have 1-3/4" gap behind the toilet. Note, you'll have to buy the 14" UniFit adapter extra...you don't get an exchange for the stock 12" one. Or, you can use it and get an extra 2" more space behind the toilet.

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks @Terry for the reply. Can you help me understand how you got to 3.5". Additionally, if that gap was too large, is that where another toilet with the unifit adapter would work? Which one would you choose to keep the 2" or limit that gap as much as possible? Thank you sir!

Update: After reading a bit more, is it fair to say that I have a couple of choices, I could either get a 14" unifit adapter and keep the gap with the back wall fairly small or I could buy a 14" rough in toilet and deal with a potential 3" gap (2" + 1"). Or am I off?
You could do as I did and get your 15 inch rough with a 14 inch Unifit. I got about 13 inches with a 12 inch Unifit.

My vespin uni-fit story:

http://www.terrylove.com/forums/ind...baseboard-and-shoe-molding.58080/#post-428138 my unifit mod post

http://www.terrylove.com/forums/ind...nifit-or-stick-with-the-12.59681/#post-442544 picture with ruler.

http://www.terrylove.com/forums/ind...rance-with-14-unifit-and-offset-flange.66596/ has marked-up unifit photo.

SeePlanet

Reaction score
Thank you @jadnashua and @Reach4 for the input! It sounds like if I wanted to have the distance between the toilet and the wall to be minimal, finding a toilet that is unifit compatible is the way to go. With that said, I also am an owner of the S550e washlet and would like to install it on a compatible toilet also.

Given those requirements and a strong liking of the skirted toilets by my wife to optimal look and "cleanability", I am looking at fitting the S550e to the Aimes toilet with the 14" Unifit adapter. Looking at the spec sheet, that would make it be 3.75" from the wall (3" + 3/4"). Not ideal, but not sure if I can have it sit any further back without moving the pipe (don't want to do that).

Before I tell her the good news, does anyone see any issue with the positioning of the outlet and water source? I don't see how long those are, but I'd imagine I could make them work. Is there anything else I am missing? This home was built in 1935.

Toilet.png

Reach4

Reaction score
You should have come up with 1-3/4, rather than 3-3/4 gap, but you will be be able to close that gap some. Without anything special, you can move the Unifit toward the wall with just the slot slop.

If you study the situation, and if the hole in the closet flange is big enough, and you are willing to make some new holes in the Unifit, there is a good chance that you could reduce the gap considerably.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Anything will FIT its just a matter of too much gap and the fact it cuts off space in front of toilet having the flange set at 15 inches. offset closet rings give an 1 1/2 '' closer fit to wall.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks