Remodel bathroom DWV help

Users who are viewing this thread

Kevinjm4

Reaction score
Hi I’m from Snoqualmie, WA (unincorporated King County). I’m looking for some drain/vent rough in help. I will post two pictures here. One of the way the plumbing has been done by a plumber. The other of just a blank canvas of what it is we’re working with. Forgive me if this is not the group for this type of stuff. (Please note the notations all around one of the images)

I’m concerned because although I hired a plumber to rough in this dwv bathroom (remodel project) the local inspector (king county, Seattle area, Washington) said he would rather see a wet vent... that would seem to me a major error on my plumbers part if this is actually absolutely necessary. He wants both the toilet and shower/tub be wet vented through the 2” vanity drain and he told me to look up wet vent bathroom group, and I didn’t understand any of it and none of the layout examples ever came close to matching my bathroom layout. Is a wet vent in my situation even possible considering the double lav is downstream from the toilet/tub?

However another inspector seemed to be OK with at least what I described to him over the phone with my venting under the floor, but something may have been lost in translation of course considering I’m just a layman. But I do believe he mentioned there are exceptions when doing venting horizontal if absolutely necessary.

(I should mention this is the same setup/layout as it was before. (except now lav on 2” drain/2” vent and went from 1 lav to double and before drain and vent were 1.5”) Vents have just been added under the floor. I cannot speak to how effective that dwv arrangement was as it was never used personally. Was all this adding of vents counterproductive? So, it would seem that before perhaps the tub/toilet were wet vented in the 2” laundry possibly?)

I’m competent enough to fix anything the plumber messed up, although I hope to avoid that/something major as we’re already out $1500 on him. If this can work fine, great, if something needs to be changed, let me know. Hopefully I can get this up to snuff if it needs the work done. If not great! I just want to feel comfortable tiling and drywalling over this if you know what I mean..

Anything I need to clarify let me know! Thanks!

Attachments

• 9AC19816-4F22-41C0-B4CF-DD4749E00C0A.jpeg
    9AC19816-4F22-41C0-B4CF-DD4749E00C0A.jpeg
    68.2 KB · Views: 152
  • 7BE8EF79-91F9-4CF5-B277-BDE8BD455FE7.jpeg
    7BE8EF79-91F9-4CF5-B277-BDE8BD455FE7.jpeg
    51.3 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Assuming you don't care about the lav/shower/WC on the left and that this is in a crawl space below the joists, so there are no obstacles or other considerations, the most obvious layout is pictured below in plan view. Blue is 2", red is 3", the double lav 2" dry vent horizontally wet vents the shower and the WC. The only reason that the 2" lav drain jogs to the right to start is that the shower trap arm, from the trap outlet to the wye where it joins the lav, is limited to 60" of length. [Also 2" of total fall, but at least 1/4" per foot.]

BTW, I stopped looking at your first drawing after finding 3 or 4 problems with it, there are probably more.

Cheers, Wayne

7BE8EF79-91F9-4CF5-B277-BDE8BD455FE7.jpeg

Kevinjm4

Reaction score
Assuming you don't care about the lav/shower/WC on the left and that this is in a crawl space below the joists, so there are no obstacles or other considerations, the most obvious layout is pictured below in plan view. Blue is 2", red is 3", the double lav 2" dry vent horizontally wet vents the shower and the WC. The only reason that the 2" lav drain jogs to the right to start is that the shower trap arm, from the trap outlet to the wye where it joins the lav, is limited to 60" of length. [Also 2" of total fall, but at least 1/4" per foot.]

BTW, I stopped looking at your first drawing after finding 3 or 4 problems with it, there are probably more.

Cheers, Wayne

View attachment 80653
Wayne thank you for the reply! Now that I have a good design to be sure I get it all right: the three tie in points, shower to lav, shower/lav to wc, then the three to the laundry main line at the bottom - will all of those need to be wye’s? And those would they need to be rolled up 45° Or flat.

Also, will there need to be clean outs anywhere?

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
(1) Yes, wyes or combos.

(2) They should be "flat", meaning all the drains sloped at least 2% but not necessarily any more. That's how horizontal wet venting works; rolled up is for a dry vent takeoff where there's no drainage coming in. But a dry vent can't go "flat" until 6" above the fixture flood rim, one of the problems with your current layout.

(3) Pass on that question, not something I've studied. Maybe others can answer. Or here are the rules I haven't studied:

Cheers, Wayne

Kevinjm4

Reaction score
(1) Yes, wyes or combos.

(2) They should be "flat", meaning all the drains sloped at least 2% but not necessarily any more. That's how horizontal wet venting works; rolled up is for a dry vent takeoff where there's no drainage coming in. But a dry vent can't go "flat" until 6" above the fixture flood rim, one of the problems with your current layout.

(3) Pass on that question, not something I've studied. Maybe others can answer. Or here are the rules I haven't studied:

Cheers, Wayne
Thank you for the reply. Once I get going I may have another question or two but I think you put me on a good track. Soon enough, I will be submitting another drawing for your (and others’) consideration as this same plumber did something similar to our dwv system in the master bath... not sure how I feel about spending $1500+ on a single income for nearly nothing... But that’s life I guess. (Maybe Terry Love knows the plumber? Local guy to him...) I tried calling Terry for a bid on this job but no response sadly. Understandable though.

Kevinjm4

Reaction score
I’d still like help with a cleanout if and where... any help appreciated. Or any other tips advice. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks