Refrigerator plumbing replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

Dohc46

Reaction score
Based on attached picture: attached to the 3/4" copper pipe is a "1987" technology "thingy" and you can see the braided line that is going up to the refrigerator. We are remodeling kitchen, so fridge is out right now, but no matter how hard I tighten this thing, there is a small flow of water at the end of the braided line where it would have hooked to fridge.
QUESTION: what "2022" technology of items can I buy to replace this? Some kind of shark replacement? When determining what I could buy, keep this in mind please. DIY (I wan't to do it); no soldering.

Please either send pic of item/s or model #s versus saying a plumbing term item that I may not know.
Plumb Fridge.jpg

Thank you!

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I love piercing valves as I won a lot of cases where the installer was proved to be incompetent

Remove that piece of junk and replace it with a coupling .possibly a slip coupling.

If you ever plan to use an ice maker again cut out the piercing valve install a C X C X F tee and either place an FIPS valve on the bull of the tee or use a brass plug on the bull

Reach4

Reaction score
The device in your picture is usually called a saddle valve. One option would be to replace that with another saddle valve. That term is not used in this listing, https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-4-in-OD-Compression-Brass-Valve-Fitting-800639/300096262 but if I were going to connect an ice maker in the future, I would use one of those.

That said, I am not a plumber. The plumbers usually dislike those in favor of more substantial plumbing.

https://www.sharkbite.com/us/en/brass-push-to-connect/connection-kits/ice-maker-connection-kit https://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBite-Push-to-Connect-Ice-Maker-Installation-Kit-25024/206105353 is a step up.

But if you are remodeling, you could go to a higher level, and get an ice maker outlet box installed.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
DIY with no soldering ability limits you perhaps a 3/4 compression tee or shark bite tee then a short piece of copper with a anglestop or sharkbite valve. I'm not a proponent of sharkbite brand or pushfit fittings and think a compression tee would be a good option for someone not wanting or knowing how to sweat copper
Sylvans Idea preferable but requires soldering

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Based on attached picture: attached to the 3/4" copper pipe is a "1987" technology "thingy" and you can see the braided line that is going up to the refrigerator.
More like 1950's tech. As you can see the rubber seal is degrading. I would install a new tee and go with either PEX or copper to what Reach4 suggest, a outlet box. SharkBite1/2 in. Push-to-Connect Brass Ice Maker Outlet Box.

Case in point, at least someone used a flex line. My son's house had a leak that did some damage. The previous owner had a kitchen remodel that moved the fig to the other side of the room. The clowns reused a saddle valve from the bathroom cold water under the vanity, ran the line up inside the wall, across the attic and down the wall (hose on slab). No outlet box. The real problem was they used that cheap plastic line that comes with ice maker kits using saddle valves. :mad: A few years ago purchasing a new refrigerator from HD, they must add and charge you for new water line kit. Just too many old water lines that blow out after being touched by delivery guys when connecting to a new refrigerator, of course days latter the leaks start. The new lines are usually 1/4" PEX.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
More like 1950's tech. As you can see the rubber seal is degrading. I would install a new tee and go with either PEX or copper to what Reach4 suggest, a outlet box. SharkBite1/2 in. Push-to-Connect Brass Ice Maker Outlet Box.

Case in point, at least someone used a flex line. My son's house had a leak that did some damage. The previous owner had a kitchen remodel that moved the fig to the other side of the room. The clowns reused a saddle valve from the bathroom cold water under the vanity, ran the line up inside the wall, across the attic and down the wall (hose on slab). No outlet box. The real problem was they used that cheap plastic line that comes with ice maker kits using saddle valves. :mad: A few years ago purchasing a new refrigerator from HD, they must add and charge you for new water line kit. Just too many old water lines that blow out after being touched by delivery guys when connecting to a new refrigerator, of course days latter the leaks start. The new lines are usually 1/4" PEX.
Take your chances consider risk . I'd get rid off saddle valve. did your son run new piping to fridge?
I've got a concept to put a small tank on top fridge to eliminate plumbing icemaker lines, for apts or what ever I think something inexpensive coulds be made a gallon or 2 you reill as needed probably no demand for it but I thought it a great idea

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks