Red water residue question

Users who are viewing this thread

Cookie

Reaction score
I have noticed a red residue in my coffee maker and cat bowls, etc and I was wondering if anyone knows if this is a metal and what I can do to get rid of this problem. Also, if this is potentially harmful to my pets. These bowls get washed daily.

Cookie

Reaction score
You know what, it probably is more pink. I don't find it in the toilets, only mainly in the cats water bowls and then, tonite in the coffee maker.

What is it Gary? I don't want to harm Bob and Tom.

I only saw it even because when I wash their bowls it came off on the paper towels and then, with the coffee maker, I was cleaning it and looked down inside where you add the water and noticed it, some of the water, looking pink in the corners.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
Maybe, I will buy one of those Brita things you put on a faucet end? You think that might help? What is it, a metal? I am concerned for my pets, I would buy them bottled water but, I read where that isn't what it is supposed to be cracked up to anyways, and I can't afford to waste money.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Did the city start adding something new reciently to the water...it may be reacting with your copper pipes....

Cookie

Reaction score
In the beginning of summer the water company had sent around some literature saying they were increasing the amount of chlorine in the water. But, I noticed this pinky color on the bowls once before summer, but it had not returned until, now. And, now, I noticed it in the coffee maker.

I thought copper pipes were good?

Cookie

Reaction score
Thank you but I am not dirty. It is also not in the bathroom or toilet and the cats water bowls get washed daily, same as my coffee maker, which gets used the same.

Cookie

Reaction score
What I may do is rethink where I have their water bowls and my coffee maker.
I have their bowls by the heating vent on the floor, and my coffee maker on the microwave cart their as well. I just turned the furnace on the other day, so, maybe from the heat of the furnace heating up their water, and then, any residue of water sitting in the corner of my coffee maker, might be enough to do it.

Cookie

Reaction score
What do you think Cass?

I am going to do a test and see., lol. I bet I am right.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
You could call the water company/city and ask if there is something going on...may times citys will flush their water lines and it may be just fine particles of rust that will, in time, go away...

Cookie

Reaction score
I could do that tomorrow, can't hurt. But, I seem to remember having this problem before only in the winter and then, last winter I moved his bowls, and had my coffee maker on the other side of the kitchen. I have to keep it pretty warm in here, ( some people would perish or melt) because of my hemolytic anemia, I nearly lost my finger to frostbite a couple of winters ago. So, it gets pretty toasty in here.

I already moved everything and see.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Once airborne, the bacteria seek moist environments to proliferate. Some people have even noted the pink residue in their pet’s water bowl, which causes no apparent harm and can be easily cleaned off. Others have indicated that their experience with this nuisance occurs during a time of year that their windows are open for the majority of the day. These airborne bacteria can come from any number of naturally occurring sources, and the condition can be further aggravated if customers remove the chlorine from their water by way of an activated carbon filter.

I was not saying you were "dirty" this phenomenon is fairly common. Read the entire link before you think your housekeeping skills are being challanged.

Cookie

Reaction score
I think you just took what I said, the wrong way there Mr. NH MASTER.... I read the article thank you.

BUT, on a good note, I gave my girlfriend a call, she is the neighboring vet here and she said, pretty much they experience it there in the kennels and people, just like me call her and ask the same question regarding this being harmful to their pets.

She told me to do essentially what I just did, move the bowls, move the coffee maker from such a warm source of heat and it will stop. I am pretty sure this is the case before, so, all is well.

I found my own solution and backed it up with a pro. I should had thought of calling her this morning before I posted, so this is finished, thank you.

Cookie

Reaction score
and I said it was finished. But, you like to have the last word, right? lol.
go head... :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks