Recurring issue with brine in refrigerator lines

Users who are viewing this thread

HokiePerogi

Reaction score
I have a Rainsoft system installed in my house on well water. I have a Rainsoft softener (EC5) and a Rainsoft OxyTech filter (EC4). We've been experiencing an issue 1 or more times a month. In the morning, when we use the water dispenser on the refrigerator, the water tastes AWFUL! It's not a salt taste, since we use Potassium Chloride (and have the EC5 configured, as such), but it most definitely is the brine.

We've had the system for about 4 years, but really only started experiencing this issue within the past 6 months. Our water usage has increased in the past year due to an extra adult living with us, a teenage boy who takes 1-2 long showers a day, and a 9-year-old who loves to relax by taking a bath now that he can do it unattended.

I have had the install come out twice to look at the system and ensure the heads are clean and the system is operating as it should. Each time, they tell me that we shouldn't be using ANY water during the regeneration cycle since that would cause the brine to be sucked into the house's water lines. That point still baffles me since I thought the bypass valves on the units would prevent that from happening any time during regen. Am I wrong here?

Either way, the family knows not to be running water or flushing toilets in the middle of the night (unless it's brown...know what I mean?). The only thing that would be pulling water in the middle of the night when the regens are scheduled to fire is the refrigerator's ice maker. We use A LOT of ice in our house, even right before bed when multiple people fill up large tumblers with ice and water to keep bedside. So, I'm SURE the ice maker works through the nice to fill the ice compartment back up.

My family is afraid to drink the water out of the refrigerator dispenser until I personally try it for them....lucky me!

What are my options here? I'm considering the following:

- Bringing in a new water treatment company to consult
- Installing a reverse osmosis filter that only treats the refrigerator supply (after both Rainsoft devices)
- Installing a reverse osmosis filter that only treats the refrigerator supply (before both of the Rainsoft devices)
- Trying to find a refrigerator with a programmable (based on time) ice maker - but I don't think this exists
- Trying to piece together a timer-operated valve for just the refrigerator supply (would love to find one that would be installed via the refrigerator flex tubing instead of needing to be plumbed into the PVC which would require drywall demo and repair)

I appreciate any advice the community has for me!

MaxBlack

Reaction score
Someone here must know Rainsoft--I do not. But their statement "they tell me that we shouldn't be using ANY water during the regeneration cycle since that would cause the brine to be sucked into the house's water lines" feels like utter nonsense to me. Every water softener I have ever seen puts the softener in Bypass during regen, such that the only way your water would taste "briny" is if the rinse cycle (following brining) is not working properly. Does your water taste like brine, or is your well water just that awful bad?

Seems to me you need an expert NOT your installer to take a look at it. Get that fixed, then consider whether to add an RO system (that runs off the softened water) to supply the fridge. For all your drinking water and ice use, you may need a bigger tank than is typical (I think standard ones have 3 gal tanks).

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Technically the rapid rinse is not intended to remove excess salt after the brine/slow rinse cycle. The brine/slow rinse cycle should completely eliminate any salty water if the programming is correct. The EC5 uses a Fleck control valve so no salty water should enter the house even if you use the water during the regeneration process.
You may want to remove the seal/spacer stack and inspect it for any damage. Same for the injector kit. That valve is very reliable and simple.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks