Rapidfire hammer noise

Users who are viewing this thread

cmw

Reaction score
About a year ago I replaced a 4" centerset with a new 4" centerset (cartridge design) on the bathroom sink and has been troublefree until now.
Now, when I turn on the cold water more than 1/3 open, I get a rapidfire hammering noise which stops if I reduce the flowrate. This problem doesn't exist with the hot water. Is this an early warning of the cartridge failing?

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
It sounds like a rubber washer has come loose. You'll need to pull the cartridge to check. If there is a "bibb" washer on the bottom of the cartridge, you'll need to tighten or replace it. It may be another seal that is failing, however, since only the cold water is affected. Replacing the cartridge would be the surefire cure.

cmw

Reaction score
Right on target. Thankyou.
The cold supply was only partly open. I opened it more & the problem went away. Why did this "partly open" result in the hammering noise??

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
Loose washer on the shut off was banging against the stem/seat in the valve and vibrating the pipes...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks