Rainsoft TC Series Resin

Users who are viewing this thread

Brian94

Reaction score
I successfully rebedded my Rainsoft AN the other day and am now ready to move onto the softner, just want to do a little maintenance I have no clue of the age of resin. I was planning on undoing head to inspect the resin prior to purchase of new material. Not sure if there is a gravel bed. Information on these units are hard to come by and dealer is hush hush. I was able to access the dealers settings on the head and there are three types of resin in which can be programmed; ion-x 2000 v resin, ion-x 100 t resin, and ion-x 34 d resin. I'm unsure of what changes it makes to the routines with these in place. Seems as if other heads are not as complicated.

Raw hardness is 2gpg
treated is 1gpg
Raw ph 5.6
treated is 7

Size of my unit is (7x32) resin is only 15in high with flashlight.

Current settings:
50 - .5 cu ft resin
34 - oin-x 34 D resin
5 - minute backwash
51 - minute brine/rinse
5 - minute fast rinse

4 day regen
2lb salt setting @ 8,900 gpg according to resin sheet in the owners manual, which of course I had to deep dive the web to find.

Where can I exactly find this type of resin or is it just brand specific?

I was looking into;
liqua gen lg-iec-10 @91.99
Tier1 ier 100 @109.50

Any suggestions?
We use about 164 gallon a day from my guess. 2 adults and a toddler. Seems as if regen is not necessary at 4 day span, if we are only using 700 gallons in that period if that refen cycle is good for 8,900 gpg. Unless there is something that I am grossly misunderstanding.

As a side note on my Rainsoft 10x42 AN head I was able to scroll through settings on that and came across;
1.) F8 or IL ?
2.) 7 backwash?
3.) 2 rinse?

Regen is every 3 days

Anyone suggest an inline water meter to purchase or is that just crazy?

Attachments

• 20210818_160350.jpg
    20210818_160350.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 215
  • 20210818_160401.jpg
    20210818_160401.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 174
  • 20210816_214946.jpg
    20210816_214946.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 176
  • 20210816_215005.jpg
    20210816_215005.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 180
  • 20210824_145506.jpg
    20210824_145506.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I would look at the size of the beads, and if they are similar to regular softener resin, I would use regular softener resin.

Bannerman

Reaction score
What method are you using to test water hardness?

You mention only 2 GPG in the raw well water and 1 GPG within the treated water. As your Acid Neutralizer is likely adding significant hardness to the water, the hardness entering the softener will need to be determined to program the softener accordingly. I suspect your current softener settings may be improved to reduce the amount of hardness leakage within the treated water.

Time Clock based softeners are now mostly phased out in favour of demand based (metered) heads that will regenerate only when the programmed capacity has been actually utilized instead of regenerating on a set day schedule.

A softener containing only 0.5 ft3 of resin is now also rarely utilized in North America as salt and water usage will be more efficient when using a larger quantity of resin to reduce the regeneration frequency. When raw well water contains no significant iron or manganese, the usual goal is to size appropriately so as to regenerate no more than 1X per week, to as little as 1X per month.

Do you have a current lab test report to post?

Your 2 lb salt setting will be 2 lbs total, so considering 0.5 ft3 resin, this will be equivalent to 4 lbs/ft3.

While there is some capacity varience between various brands and types of resin (8% cross link, 10% cross link, Fine Mesh), with only 0.5 ft3 of resin, there is too little resin to provide any significant capacity difference. The salt and capacity amounts shown in the chart below, are the usual standards utilized for almost all brands and types for softening resin.

While your information may indicate 2 lbs salt will regenerate 8,900 grains capacity, the chart indicates 4 lb/ft3 salt will regenerate 17,000 grains capacity in 1 ft3 resin, therefore, 2 lbs total salt will appropriately regenerate only 8,500 grains Capacity in 0.5 ft3 resin. To be subtracted from the usable capacity calculation for a time clock based system will be an allowance for reserve capacity (1-day water usage).

Any high quality regular 8% cross-linked North America Cation softening resin such as produced by Purolite, Aquafine, Ionplus etc maybe utilized. Before proceeding, first measure the hardness after the AN unit and post a current lab report so as to assist to determine if replacing the control valve and resin on your current softener will be appropriate and worthwhile.

index.php

Last edited:

Brian94

Reaction score
I would look at the size of the beads, and if they are similar to regular softener resin, I would use regular softener resin.

Thanks for the input Reach

Do you have a current lab test report to post?
Took my samples down to the local supply house where I got my calcite mix from and that is what he had come up with using that expensive dropper kit. I was looking into getting the hach 5b kit.

It is interesting to hear about the metered heads based on the fact like you said its not based on an educated guess for regen. Also neat to hear about the resin sizing. What is the standarded now? My father in law is using a kinetico twin tank system, which is interesting on its own. Since there is no power, I'm assuming there is some sort of meter device to track water usage to mechanically force a regen. Thank you for the chart. Do you suggest the full on lab report with just raw water or both through nation testing labs? I suppose that is to be my next step before proceeding.

I appreciate the quick reply with the wealth of insight. I am a carpenter by trade and love learning about the other trades, considering it helps out in the homeownership category with doing everything myself.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks