Question - Toto

Users who are viewing this thread

SanzS

Reaction score
Have a couple Toto toilets. One needs new fill valve and flapper. Changed it out with a Korky...but takes too long for tank to fill and is very noisy. After trying several times to correct it, I called a plumber. He says Toto toilets have to have Toto parts; always has problems with Toto and Kohler toilets. But, I just removed a Korky and it ran ok. That's why I replaced with another Korky. It takes over 2 minutes to fill, which is longer than the previous Korky. And we didn't have the loud noise; sounds like it's filling.

So anyone have suggestions or comments on how to get this running right? Is the plumber right?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Your TOTO toilet can use many different fill valves. If your Korky valve is slow to fill, it could be the supply at the wall. You might disconnect the supply line and check to see what kind of flow you get there.
Sometimes the old multi-turn shutoff rubber washers start to break down, and small pieces of rubber can block valves.
Also a bad rubber washer at the stop can flutter and make noise while filling.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You probably need to replace the stop at the wall, ideally, with a 1/4-turn version. The hose may have a kink in it, or have some crud from the washer partially blocking the path.

The only difference between a Korky valve you can buy at the store versus one that comes with the toilet, is that those sold with the toilet come adjusted to that particular tank so that the balance between the bowl and tank are right that minimizes excess water during the refill process. An aftermarket version that is adjustable works just fine, assuming you adjust it properly.

Because it takes a little bit extra time to adjust the fill valve properly, your plumber may not want to use the universal version, as the Toto one just should bolt in place faster...otherwise, they're identical except for the custom Toto cap.

As noted, Toto does use more than one brand, so not all sold in the US use Korky parts.

SanzS

Reaction score
Your TOTO toilet can use many different fill valves. If your Korky valve is slow to fill, it could be the supply at the wall. You might disconnect the supply line and check to see what kind of flow you get there.
Sometimes the old multi-turn shutoff rubber washers start to break down, and small pieces of rubber can block valves.
Also a bad rubber washer at the stop can flutter and make noise while filling.
This is my first time working on a toilet....where is the stop (if there's a bad rubber washer)...is that the shutoff? And there is a multi-turn shutoff on this.

Reach4

Reaction score
Yes, the stop valve is the shutoff at the wall. A stop valve could have a rubber washer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks