Question regarding bathroom remodel

Users who are viewing this thread

Jasonkelly

Reaction score
Hello! Long time reader first time poster. I’ve scoured this forum for all my previous questions but I have some new ones regarding a tub installation and inspection!

I pulled out a fiberglass alcove shower and am replacing with an acrylic tub. I’ll be tiling the walls. This is a second floor bathroom.

I plan to cut out the old p-trap and glue in a new one. Since it’s upstairs I was hoping to get away with being able to measure everything and test fit and then just glue and drop in so I don’t have to cut out drywall below. I think this works if I take my time, however the big snag is that my kohler tub drain is pvc and my house uses ABS.

Does that mean I’m doing a mechanical connection with a coupling? And will I be able to access it? Can I measure the tub, and glue the fittings to the plumbing and set the tub in, finishing connection on the tub itself?

should the tub be fully installed for inspection?

and regarding a mortar bed for the acrylic tub; my tub is sloped on the underside according to the specification, does that mean I’m filling more mortar on the high side, which is what I assume. And does anyone throw plastic on top of the mortar so the tub can be pulled back out or is that unnecessary?

thanks!

Jasonkelly

Reaction score
I was able to find some old posts I had been looking for where Terry said he glues pipes assembled to tub. And uses a fernco for the connection. So does that mean my assumption is correct that I can connect to waste lines and set tub on top?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks