Question about Symmons Temptrol valve

Users who are viewing this thread

phillyjoe73

Reaction score
Purchased a Temptrol valve (tub/shower) thinking that the integrated diverter could be used to select between the fixed shower and a handheld shower, substituted for the tub. Seemed like a cheaper option than adding an separate diverter to a shower-only valve. When I read the directions for the Temptrol it said "Do not substitute Tub Spout with restrictive fittings such as PEX, CPVC or outlet accessories such as a ledge spout, hose and spray that would subject the valve excessive internal back pressure, otherwise operation will be compromised." Now I have read in several forums here how some folks install valves inverted or plug tub outlets, so wouldn't this "compromise the operation"? Exactly what operation are they referring to .. scald protection, flow rate?
Thanks in advance!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
So you have a tub/shower valve that diverts from the tub to the shower.
A restricted flow to a tub port pushes water to the shower side. There is no way to use that as a shower/shower valve as both heads will get some water.

phillyjoe73

Reaction score
So the sliding diverter that is built into the valve doesn't really direct water to the outlets, it just blocks the tub outlet like a spout diverter?

Angela MacDonald

Reaction score
Hello, I have just tiled my shower stall and had a plumber come and check that the plumbing fixtures will fit since the surface of my wall is now about 1/4" farther away. He replaced the diverter (which had seized up) then assured me that I would be able to fit the escutcheon and handles back on over the new wall. Well, the diverter handle is too short now and I haven't tried the screws for the escutcheon but they may be too short also. I think/hope I may be able to find longer screws, but is there an extended diverter handle from Symmons? Or another manufacturer? Or any tips on how I can modify it myself? Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks