Putting closet flange on riser

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
If the PushTite does not go to the floor, use a rasp to take out the interfering part of the top of the pipe.

Reach4

Reaction score
Flange is placed. Good deal.

Rocking is usually because the base is not completely flat, rather than the toilet being high-centered by the closet flange.. You want shims. With no wax, place shims. Keep the shims in place. Lift the toilet. Drop the wax, and drop the toilet on wax and shims.

There are different favorites for shims. Terry prefers to put the shims aft. I think that makes them less visible, plus it tends to leave a tad more water in the bowl.

At what point you trim the shims to length will be personal choice. My method was to mark the shim, take it to a saw to cut to length, and then to put the shim into place with the trimmed edge pretty much at the toilet edge.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It does now- it’s flat and screwed down with no gap. :( The toilet still appears to rock right on the flange.
Sometimes it's the tile flooring. I shim at the back of the bowl, making sure the front of the bowl meets the floor.
I use a clear polyseamseal around most of the bowl, leaving a gap near the wall incase the seal goes bad, and water can be spotted back there as a warning. The caulking also prevents urine and water going under a toilet bowl, a youngster missing the target can happen. I've also done service calls where it was the oldster missing the target. I told him he should start turning the light on while using the bathroom at night.

Zennifer

Reaction score
Flange is placed. Good deal.

Rocking is usually because the base is not completely flat, rather than the toilet being high-centered by the closet flange.. You want shims. With no wax, place shims. Keep the shims in place. Lift the toilet. Drop the wax, and drop the toilet on wax and shims.

There are different favorites for shims. Terry prefers to put the shims aft. I think that makes them less visible, plus it tends to leave a tad more water in the bowl.

At what point you trim the shims to length will be personal choice. My method was to mark the shim, take it to a saw to cut to length, and then to put the shim into place with the trimmed edge pretty much at the toilet edge.
How to I tell if it’s on the flange? It’s pivoting/rocking at that point. However, is what your saying that it’s not even likely with a standard (cadet 3) toilet and a flush at the bottom flange?

Zennifer

Reaction score
Sometimes it's the tile flooring. I shim at the back of the bowl, making sure the front of the bowl meets the floor.
I use a clear polyseamseal around most of the bowl, leaving a gap near the wall incase the seal goes bad, and water can be spotted back there as a warning. The caulking also prevents urine and water going under a toilet bowl, a youngster missing the target can happen. I've also done service calls where it was the oldster missing the target. I told him he should start turning the light on while using the bathroom at night.
After removing the toilet, my husband decided he needed to sit…

Reach4

Reaction score
You could use bits of wax, or modeling clay, or stiff dough for a test fit. See where the contact is, if any. How about an old piece of carbon paper to mark the toilet if/where there is contact.

You could use a whole wax ring, but that seems messier.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks