Putting closet flange on riser

Users who are viewing this thread

Zennifer

Reaction score
Hi! We need to add the closet flange. The riser is flush to the floor. It appears to be 3”. Inner diameter pipe.

We purchased a 3” push tite but are waffling on whether that’s ok with the smaller diameter. Also, when we push it in, the gasket always slides off the bottom AND it doesn’t sit flush to the floor, but instead hovers above. It can be pushed down. Is any of this acceptable?

We also purchased a steel ringed flange glue in style, but it won’t go inside the riser, even though it has an outside measurement that is the same as the inside measurement.

Help!! What flange would be the best?

Would love to figure this out. I know we should have notched the tile- we couldn’t figure out where the holes would go until the tile was in.

Attachments

• 9E47D5EF-05EF-4CF5-8271-047DC8E89DD8.jpeg
    9E47D5EF-05EF-4CF5-8271-047DC8E89DD8.jpeg
    53.1 KB · Views: 115
  • 5043302D-DA4E-4CD3-A07F-31065404FA17.jpeg
    5043302D-DA4E-4CD3-A07F-31065404FA17.jpeg
    100.8 KB · Views: 112
  • F5B0D1DA-7278-40F0-8498-10C9D8E8E7F7.jpeg
    F5B0D1DA-7278-40F0-8498-10C9D8E8E7F7.jpeg
    97 KB · Views: 120
  • F41A4EE5-557B-474B-BFBF-AE0801E1C379.jpeg
    F41A4EE5-557B-474B-BFBF-AE0801E1C379.jpeg
    66.6 KB · Views: 109
  • C859676E-4BAA-4CDB-BD4E-03C322E1A001.jpeg
    C859676E-4BAA-4CDB-BD4E-03C322E1A001.jpeg
    83.5 KB · Views: 116

Reach4

Reaction score
Have you glued anything yet? If not, you could take a rasp to the top of the pipe to remove what interferes with your preferred flange. There are also compression flanges, which do not glue in. I don't know how much straight pipe they need.

If drilling, I hope you have ceramic (hard to drill) instead of porcelain tile (very hard to drill). If porcelain, maybe see what a tile person would charge to drill that for you once you mark the right spots.

If the Pushtite flange gasket is below the straight part of the pipe, that is not going to work.

Zennifer

Reaction score
Have you glued anything yet? If not, you could take a rasp to the top of the pipe to remove what interferes with your preferred flange. There are also compression flanges, which do not glue in. I don't know how much straight pipe they need.

If drilling, I hope you have ceramic (hard to drill) instead of porcelain tile (very hard to drill). If porcelain, maybe see what a tile person would charge to drill that for you once you mark the right spots.

If the Pushtite flange gasket is below the straight part of the pipe, that is not going to work.
We have done nothing to glue anything as far as flanges. :) there doesn’t appear to be anything there interfering. (We're practicing on the cut off).

We have 3.5” of straight pipe, and the push tite is 3” long.

What flange option would be best for us with regards to clogging? (2 kids, subfloor replacement happened in part due to kids constantly clogging toilet)

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The push tite's come long in case you need the length, I often wind up cutting them shorter and reposition the rubber seal.
They also make a glue in flange extension that works nice too.
If the push-tite goes in far enough, and the bowl will set over it without high centering, that would work.

Zennifer

Reaction score
The push tite's come long in case you need the length, I often wind up cutting them shorter and reposition the rubber seal.
They also make a glue in flange extension that works nice too.
If the push-tite goes in far enough, and the bowl will set over it without high centering, that would work.
Great- is it ok even though it’s a 3”? And can I push it down that 1/4” or so without worry?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I always use a horn but that hole is so small you might take a good look if the horn wont get crushed its good.
It looked like a perfect case for a regular closet ring just wondering why you chose the push fit vs a glue on over the pipe kind?

Zennifer

Reaction score
It looked like a perfect case for a regular closet ring just wondering why you chose the push fit vs a glue on over the pipe kind?
Mostly because we read on here that it was better for complete novices. :D Also the regular flange we bought (in first post) wouldn’t even think about fitting inside even with a little sanding…. I was hemming and hawing so posted above to ask, then we just went for it since it’s replaceable if we decide vs the other option? If we have any clogging issues we’ll switch. we still have diamonds left on the drill bit if we need to make new holes- my husband used to work cutting stone so he knew how to work a wet saw type thing. Took about 20 minutes to cut them all in the porcelain.

Zennifer

Reaction score
Argh. The flange is too high. I really think the toilet on a dry fit is rocking on the flange.

Should I pull out the pushtite and do a glue on/flatter one? Should it be an inside fit in that case? What other options?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Here is a glue on one, they have them in PVC too.
Although I think a standard closet flange for inside pipe, the short version would work too.

sioux-chief-888-am-03.jpg

Zennifer

Reaction score
if I’m not doing the pushtite, can I use an outside fit that fits over it, and avoid narrowing the inlet? The pushtite was attractive since it wasn’t permanent, but if we are gluing…our big problems came from clogging toilet.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't know why your using that ring but it should work just cut a half inch off the pipe at floor then the ring will go tight to floor

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks