Pump won’t reach cutoff pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

Joebine162

Reaction score
Hi, recently I put some stress on the suction line of my convertible well pump and broke an elbow fitting that was under the concrete slab, I replaced the elbow and dumped water in the suction line and the line seems primed and no visible leaks, now when I start my pump it gets to about 30 psi and stays at that pressure the pump will run constantly until it heats up not being able to hit cutoff pressure. At first I thought I burnt the pump so I switched the pump for a spare I have and I get the same symptoms. The only thing I can think of is putting stress on suction line cause an air leak somewhere further under the concrete or outside underground. My question is would a leaky suction line cause these symptoms? Also I have no check valve at my pump only a foot valve at the bottom of my well, would adding a check valve at the pump remove the pressure from the suction line therefor only needing to pressure the water lines after the pump making it easier to get to the needed pressure? Thank you so much for your help and advice

Reach4

Reaction score
I would clean jet pump venturi/jet. You could have a vacuum leak, but this could be a clogged jet.
https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/pressure-drops-quick.67304/page-2#post-500629

It could also be that the water is too far down.

A combination vacuum/pressure gauge at the pump input would be interesting. Adding one adds more places for a potential leak, but it would really make diagnosis easier.
s-l640.jpg

Example: https://www.supplyhouse.com/Winters...2-PCT-Contractor-Pressure-Gauge-30Hg-0-60-PSI has the right part number but the wrong picture.

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If you have two pipes going down the well the jet will be above the foot valve. If there is only one pipe going down the well the jet is in the "convertible" part bolted to the front of the pump. But it does sound more like something from the broken pipe is stuck in the jet than a suction leak. 30 PSI is the clue.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The only thing in the well is the foot valve
What is the point of mentioning suction line and that it is a convertible if it is not converted? If there is an underground leak in the suction line, then the pressure should drop without water use when the pump is turned off.

That said, plastic threaded connections can sometimes leak under suction but not under pressure. Shaving foam can be used to test those fittings.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks