Pump cycling only when water running

Users who are viewing this thread

TimPicard

Reaction score
In the last 24 hours, only when water is running does my pump cycle from 50 to 20.

This link shows the gauge

I did clean out a water filter and softener filter.

Tank pressure at 45 lbs.

What's next?

Reach4

Reaction score
I did not watch your video. How long does it take to go from 20 psi to 50? more like 50 seconds or 5 seconds?
Are you saying that if you turn off the faucet, the pump turns off within a few seconds?

I suspect your pressure tank needs to be replaced.

Last edited:

TimPicard

Reaction score
Thanks for responding.

Water off, gauge at 45. Nothing happening.

Turn one bathroom faucet on and in 10 seconds drops to 20, and kicks back on and back up to 50 in two seconds.

Reach4

Reaction score
Test 1: Turn off the pump. Open a faucet, so that the water pressure is zero. Normally at that point the tank will be empty of water. It will be relatively light.

Test 2. Assuming your pressure switch is 30/50 psi. Turn off the pump. Run water, so that the water pressure drops to near zero. Leave a faucet open. Measure the air pressure. Pump up the air pressure to 28 psi. (If you cannot, tank is bad, or your compressor is bad. ). Put the tank back into service for a day or a week or a month. Repeat the test. The tank should not have lost air in that time.

Put the tank back into service.

Note that for adding air, if you buy something, you want it to have a CFM or SCFM rating. If it only has a PSI rating, it may take a long time to pump up a car tire -- let alone a big tank.

The symptoms alone make it unlikely the tank is good, but I understand wanting to confirm.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The fact that it goes from 20 to 50 in 2 seconds pretty much confirms it. While you are replacing the tank might as well solve the cycling on/off problem that caused the tank bladder to go bad before it destroys the pump as well.

Uncle Gump

Reaction score
I am having a similar experience but have replaced the pump and now have replaced the pressure tank twice in 2 days thinking that's the issue but I am stumped

Reach4

Reaction score
Post a photo that includes the pipe from the well, the input to the pressure tank, the pressure gauge, and the pressure switch. 800 pixels and 200KB max.

Fitter30

Reaction score
If you change the pressure higher use a hand tire pump a air compressor can blow the bladder. Use a low pressure tire gauge to check it 0 - 50 lb. Set pressure at turn on pressure.

2stupid2fixit

Reaction score
the responsValid fore of your pressure gauge needle are in my eyes somewhat violent. i would expect gradual fills and drains. you have ping pong on-off. I would bet if you cut your tank open you would find a torn or otherwise ruptured bladder inside the vessel.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks