Problem with Dual Showerhead Water Temperature

Users who are viewing this thread

Jim Miesner

Reaction score
Hi,

Just bought a home and the dual shower has hot water issues. There are two heads (one overhead and one handheld - see photos here). Both have temperature controls on them. The overhead gets up to about 102 degrees on its own, but we like our showers a little hotter than that.

If I then turn on the handheld shower head (no matter the water temp I set it to) to then the water temp of the overhead will get hot (up to 130 - this might be because the plumber temporarily disabled the scald guard on just the overhead). Of course this is way to hot, but I can then adjust the overhead to a good temp from there.

If I turn off the handheld then the overhead will cool back down again to 102. The handheld on its own can also get up to 130 at it's maximum.

So basically I can adjust the temp on the handheld to an enjoyable water temp, but I can't do that for the overhead unless the handheld is on. (The handheld can be cold or hot and the overhead will still get considerably hotter.)

I'm hoping there is a simple fix that doesn't involve completely tearing out the plumbing and I don't want to spend the rest of our lives turning on two heads and pointing one away so that we can get the overhead shower to an enjoyable temperature. Please share your thoughts. Thanks!

Jim

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hi,

Just bought a home and the dual shower has hot water issues. There are two heads (one overhead and one handheld - see photos here). Both have temperature controls on them. The overhead gets up to about 102 degrees on its own, but we like our showers a little hotter than that.

If I then turn on the handheld shower head (no matter the water temp I set it to) to then the water temp of the overhead will get hot (up to 130 - this might be because the plumber temporarily disabled the scald guard on just the overhead). Of course this is way to hot, but I can then adjust the overhead to a good temp from there.

If I turn off the handheld then the overhead will cool back down again to 102. The handheld on its own can also get up to 130 at it's maximum.

So basically I can adjust the temp on the handheld to an enjoyable water temp, but I can't do that for the overhead unless the handheld is on. (The handheld can be cold or hot and the overhead will still get considerably hotter.)

I'm hoping there is a simple fix that doesn't involve completely tearing out the plumbing and I don't want to spend the rest of our lives turning on two heads and pointing one away so that we can get the overhead shower to an enjoyable temperature. Please share your thoughts. Thanks!

Jim
Take a picture of the controls

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
That's a non-public link. You can check how others will see your link by going to it in a private browsing ("Incongnito") window.

Cheers, Wayne

Jim Miesner

Reaction score
That's a non-public link. You can check how others will see your link by going to it in a private browsing ("Incongnito") window.

Cheers, Wayne

Thanks, I corrected it. I also did some research and it looks like the Delta Monitor 1700 series. I see there are two cartridges to choose from depending on whether it was after 2006.

Based on some things I'm not confident the correct cartridge is in there. Any way for me to tell the year of the faucet?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks