pressure tank air pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

Vietnam Vet

Reaction score
How much air pressure should my pressure tank have? I had to replace my check valve. It didn't come with an air valve so I have ordered one. But I don't know how much air to put in the system once the valve arrives. Also do I drain the tank to check the air pressure or do I check it full? Right now the pump will only pump up 20 pounds of pressure. I guess that's because the air pressure is not correct??? thank you

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Check valves normally only have air (snifter) valves in conjunction with hydro-pneumatic tanks or seasonal homes drain-back systems. The valve is not there to manually add air with a compressor.

Bannerman

Reaction score
You didn't specify the type of pressure tank your system is equipped with. As LL said, a snifter valve is often incorporated when there is a hydro-pneumatic tank, but not for a captive air tank (uses a 'rubber' diaphragm or bladder to separate the air and water chambers).

If your PT is a captive air type, the air pre-charge pressure would be checked with a tire pressure gauge using the Schrader fitting directly on the tank. This is only performed while the pump is shut off and after the water chamber has been completely drained of water. The air pre-charge pressure should be normally 2-4 psi lower than the pressure switch cut-in setting. That 2-4 psi difference will ensure a small quantity of water will continue to remain within the PT when the pump is activated, which should ensure constant water flow to faucets even if there is a short delay before the pump builds sufficient pressure.

If your pump is only building to 20-psi, that is not the result of the PT pre-charge pressure. If your's is a jet pump, check the jet orifice as it could be partially blocked with debris. Another possible reason for low pressure is a hole in the pressure pipe somewhere between the pump and pressure tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks