pressure switch problems

Users who are viewing this thread

jandrpopejoy

Reaction score
I just finished replacing a pressure tank and pressure switch, now when I turn on the power to the pump to fill the tank, the pressure switch cuts on and off quickly until tank is full. what should I do?

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
call a well man

wells are a pain in the a//

I have been bitten more than once and left with egg on my face trying to
repair wells.

Gave it all up and now refer customers to someone who works on wells only

the seem to only fail on Sundays. and x-mas

You could have a problem with a number of things...

the controll box capacitor, the boot valve down in the bottom of the well,

a short in the wireing going down th the well

it goes on and on.

Find an honest Well man in your area and have him service your system.

Last edited:

jandrpopejoy

Reaction score
failed to mention....

the pump is relatively new, and it is submersable. anyway found out I needed to adjust the switch. thanks for your help.

Mike Swearingen

Reaction score
Website
www.albemarle-realty.com
The air pressure in the pressure tank should be two psi below your pump cut-on pressure. Turn the pump off, and drain the water pressure completely down and then check it with a tire gauge, and release air if too high, and air it up with a bicycle pump or portable air tank or compressor if too low.
The pressure switch can be adjusted by turning the adjusting nuts down on the spring-loaded bolts to increase pressure, or up to decrease pressure. If you have only one adjusting post on your switch, it will automatically be set 20 psi apart for cut-on & cut-off. If you have two, the tallest will be for the cut-on pressure.
Check inside the top of the pressure switch cover, and there may be a diagram to tell you.
See if this helps solve the problem.
As Mark said, there can be a whole range of things that can affect a well and pump, but those are the first two things to try.
Good Luck!
Mike

jandrpopejoy

Reaction score
got it fixed and all is well. Just needed to adjust pressure cutoff on the switch. thank you again

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks