Pressure Reducing Valve Question - and maybe more

Users who are viewing this thread

beolson25

Reaction score
All,
This group has been helpful over the past month or so and I appreciate it. Let me briefly explain my situation and then pose the question.

My home my was built March of 2019. In my main line to my home's water supply there is a PRV-->backflow preventer-->catalytic carbon backwashing filter(2.5cf)-->water softener-->back to the main line feeding the house. The main is 3/4 PEX.

I understand all those things can reduce flow but my question is not immediately about flow. When my home was inspected the inspector measured 57 psi at the outdoor faucet. After installing the back flow, carbon filter and water softener I have 43 static PSI on a new pressure gauge before the carbon filter. So ... I'm thinking, why not ~57 PSI? I don't have a gauge before the backflow or the PRV so I can't measure it effectively. I also checked my neighbors faucet and it is at ~54 PSI.

So... I'm guessing an issue with either the backflow or PRV .... I am under the impression a brand new Backflow should not drop PSI statically so I moved on to the PRV.
Here is where the questions start.

I adjusted the PRV while monitoring the pressure. I turned the pressure down to about 25 PSI (measured in front of carbon filter). I adjusted it upward watching and it continued to go up the whole time I turned but maxed out at 43 PSI. The PRV is supposed to be 15-75 PSI so I would expect the second half of the adjustment to basically do nothing if the inlet pressure was only 45. Right? Also, this was never adjusted during installation.

I'm thoroughly confused because the PRV is barely a year old and I don't know how it would be failing and only maxing at 43 PSI. Is it possible the PRV is failed? Is it "likely" my pressure somehow dropped 10-15 PSI compared to my neighbors? What next steps should I take?

Parts involved:
Watts LF009M3QT - backflow
Zurn NR3XL - PRV (15-75PSI)

beolson25

Reaction score
Pics

Note:
The PRV in this picture was at ~30PSI, based on memory. It is currently screwed all the way in, at its highest pressure setting.

Also worth noting ... I have 2 pressure gauges one before and one after the filter/softener and they both have similar numbers. So I don't believe there to be any fault in the pressure gauge.

Attachments

• IMG_20200131_172734.jpg
    IMG_20200131_172734.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_20200131_172541.jpg
    IMG_20200131_172541.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_20200123_155353.jpg
    IMG_20200123_155353.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks