Premade CSST fitting to round corner between iron

Users who are viewing this thread

L squad

Reaction score
I have 2 runs of black iron pipe. One from the meter (old), and one that I ran back in a crawlspace from a stove. (New)
My plan was to get them close and use a union where they met. Got it all doped up and needed 1 more fitting to be finished.
Problem is.... the pipe rounds a corner at an angle of about 22 degrees and I cannot find a 1/2"- 22.5* coupling. I searched for hours.
Question... Can I terminate both runs short of one another in a flare fitting and use a 36" csst pre-made stove connection to round the corner and get the two together.?

It will be exposed

The old side is grounded, and there happens to be a grounding rod in the dirt of the crawlspace, so I can get the other (new) side grounded too if that is the only concern.

Last edited:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Um maybe but why? Generally mixing fitting types isn't recommended. I think a vertical section somewhere would give you about any angle you want.

Swing joint my nozzle.

L squad

Reaction score
I've researched the swing joint. And it seems like a good fix. Thanks for the info. I'm not sure why, but I thought that would be some sort of jerry-rig to have a bunch of fittings like that and I discounted it immediately.
I think a couple of St 90's will get me the angle I need.
I really appreciate the actual responses.
Many times you get the "hire a plumber" answer in these forums and it drives me up the wall.
I'm plenty capable and I am passionate about doing things right.
Thanks again

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've researched the swing joint. And it seems like a good fix. Thanks for the info. I'm not sure why, but I thought that would be some sort of jerry-rig to have a bunch of fittings like that and I discounted it immediately.
I think a couple of St 90's will get me the angle I need.
I really appreciate the actual responses.
Many times you get the "hire a plumber" answer in these forums and it drives me up the wall.
I'm plenty capable and I am passionate about doing things right.
Thanks again
Generally routing is the very first thing planned. I can spend more time routing and figuring out how to most elegantly layout the piping with weird angles gracefully worked out to every detail. Then the piping is easy.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
sometimes a swing joint is practical sometimes not. an appliance connector would be a poor choice. Id avoid the CSST piping thats for permanant install as well . Perhaps a good application of a swing joint is the way to go as mentioned

L squad

Reaction score
The routing in this case was a bit difficult. I was in a crawlspace that was 4 inches from bottom of joist to soil. I had to premake a 10' pipe with an elbow and 10" riser. . I sent the pipe into the space and turned it upwards through a hole I drilled in the floor. Cut another hole to get a drill in the to secure it to the joist.
Almost inaccessible. So after the pipe was secured, I had to find a way back to the main supply. Building from the supply to the stove wasn't an option. Perhaps I could have just ruin csst all the way there, but you gotta terminate in iron through the floor at the stove.
And here we are.. .
Thanks again for the suggestions

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks