Pool filter connections

Users who are viewing this thread

Barry J

Reaction score
I just bought a new filter to pump hose, and the pool store gave me a new "union" connector to screw into my filter. I put some teflon tape on and threaded it in. It has a slow leak, probably a drop every 2 minutes or so. I took it out and put more teflon on., but still leaks.
My question is what is better, a lot of teflon until it stops leaking or just one or two layers??
Also, I ended up threading it in pretty much all the way, is it better to only thread in just enough or all the way??
It is definetely leaking from where the union threads into the filter, the plastic on plastic thread.
Thanks
Barry

Reaction score
Unions usually don't require a sealant (tape or dope). The union on my pool filter all have o-ring face seals. All mine I just need to get hand tight.

Is the leak at the union joint or at the joint from the pipe to union fitting? Pictures would help

Barry J

Reaction score
The leak is not coming from union part, coming from the other side that threads into the pump body itself

Reaction score
Usually a few wraps of teflon tape is all that is needed. Did you wrap it in the the proper direction? Are the male and female thread is good condition? No nicks, cracks, etc? Maybe the female thread has cracked from being over tightened? Sealing PVC is usually pretty easy, on a pool there is almost no pressure in the system 15-20 psi max, but usually closer to 10 psi.

JerryR

Reaction score
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks