Point of entry filter

Users who are viewing this thread

BimmerRacer

Reaction score
Hello,

I am noticing a fair amount of sediment in my faucet/tankless heater screens and would like to add a sediment filter. I assume it will go at the entry point before the well pressure tank and everything else. Can someone

1. recommend a brand, is one better than others? something along the lines of https://waterontheweb.com/bb-1-point-of-entry-pre-sediment-filter-unit/
2. It looks like my entry pipe is 1" PVC, I assume that is fine for cold water and can continue to use that in a filter loop?

Thanks

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If you have sediment coming from a well you should try to solve that problem first. Sometimes just pumping out the well is all that is needed. The pump and everything else in the pump system is negatively effected by the sediment as well. If you cannot clean up the well, knowing what you are filtering will help you decide what kind of filter. Filtering for smaller particle sizes causes the filter to clog quicker. Filtering for too large a particle won't solve your problem.

Also, you would be surprised how much sediment is caused from just the pump cycling on and off stirring up the well. :)

Reach4

Reaction score
Normally a sediment filter would be after the pressure tank. Filters can clog, and you don't want the possibility of a plugged filter between the pump and the pressure switch+tank.

Do flush the sediment from your pressure tank periodically. Start with annually.

Precharged Pressure tank flush:
1. Connect a hose to the sediment drain valve, and run that to where you plan to drain the water. I suggest filtering the output through a cloth if you suspect the sediment may include sand.
2. Turn off the pump.
3. Open the drain valve, and let it drain until the water stops. It would be possibly interesting to watch the first water that comes out.
4. Close the valve, and turn the pump back on, and let pressure build.
5. Repeat steps 2, 3 and 4 as needed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks