Plywood spacers to raise closet flange

Users who are viewing this thread

PatrickM

Reaction score
I'm replacing a closet flange that leaked horribly. The original flange was poorly installed:
1) it was attached to the subfloor rather than the finished floor (about 1" below the finished floor height)
2) the hole in the subfloor wasn't quite big enough so it was sitting on the flare in the 4x3 flange rather and the screws had then bent the abs flange when they were tightened; and
3) the tile was installed partially over the flange (i.e., not cut back enough and mortar squeeze out).

I want to correct all of this when I install the new flange.

So far, I've trimmed back the tile and enlarged the hole in the subfloor slightly. Now the flange will sit flat against the subfloor but it's still recessed by about 1/2".

I'd like to fix that by cutting a plywood spacer ring that would sit between the tile and the subfloor opening and create a mounting surface for the flange that would at the same height as the finished floor (see example here). I would glue the ring to the subfloor with waterproof construction adhesive. Is this a good idea? ...any potential problems I'm failing to consider?

Next question...should I apply sealant (e.g., silicone caulking) between the outer edge of the ring and the tile to avoid water seeping under the tile? If the wax seal fails again in the future, I want to see water running out from under the toilet as soon as possible. The gap between the spacer rings and the tile could delay water from making it's way out onto the finished tile floor.

I've provided some picture below for reference.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Current situation:
Current Situation.jpg

New flange set in place (not yet glued):

With New Flange in place.jpg

Plywood spacer ring diagram and location for silicone sealant:

1657671777703.png

PatrickM

Reaction score
https://www.lowes.ca/product/toilet-flanges/oatey-4-in-twist-n-set-pvc-toilet-bowl-flange-253198 would be a no-glue alternative.

Don't worry about mixing PVC and ABS in this case, since you would not be gluing them together.

Make sure you use screws long enough to get down to strong wood, rather into a floating spacer, whether you glue in a flange or whether you use compression.
Thanks for the advice. Any thoughts on sealant between the plywood spacer rings and the tile?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's a good plan. Yes seal between the tile and spacer. Ditch that flange and get one with a stainless metal ring.

PatrickM

Reaction score
It's a good plan. Yes seal between the tile and spacer. Ditch that flange and get one with a stainless metal ring.
I can get them online (marketplace) but it's like a 2-4 week wait. All the houses up here use ABS flanges and (provided they're installed correctly) we don't seem to have issues with the flanges breaking.

Worst case scenario, couldn't I get a stainless repair flange if it breaks?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I can get them online (marketplace) but it's like a 2-4 week wait. All the houses up here use ABS flanges and (provided they're installed correctly) we don't seem to have issues with the flanges breaking.

Worst case scenario, couldn't I get a stainless repair flange if it breaks?
Yeah worst case you can fix anything if it breaks that's not really the goal. These break all of the time I know becuse I fix them. It's mostly due to someone bumping the toilet or leaning on it at a funny angle. If your willing to go with it then go with it.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you are considering putting a repair flange some day, I would prefer the flange only sit about 1/4 inch or so proud of the floor.

PatrickM

Reaction score
Managed to get a Sioux Chief 884-ATMPK delivered within a reasonable period of time. So hopefully I won't ever have to worry about repairs.

sioux-chief-888-atm-01.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks