Plumbing Plan with Greywater

Users who are viewing this thread

Anshomereno

Reaction score
Hi All

My wife and i are currently remodeling an old 20x30 shed into a mini gym, as part of this we'd like to add a bathroom to the area (It already has a lav). Being in California both my wife and i are keen to reuse as much water as possible for the yard/plants etc so ideally we can tie this into a greywater system rather than it going straight to the sewer.

Proposed plan attached

Basically trying to tie the showers and lav into a single drain which can be controlled with a 3 way valve, so it can either be reused in the yard as grey water (purple) or go to the sewer main.

any opinions or feedback is appreciated

1660784562824.png

Last edited:

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
To do it legally in the state, you have to follow the plumbing code that is designed to protect the health of all involved.

Anshomereno

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply breplum, from my understanding greywater is legal in CA. However toilets, kitchen sinks and dishwashers are considered black (unusable) water hence why I've separated the toilet from the other fixtures.

Obviously there's other things to be aware of such as the chemicals etc we put down the drains etc The discharge will be marked as non potable and go to a drywell around trees covered by mulch, after being filtered. I plan on having it all inspected/permitted but ideally would like to do a majority of the labor my self to keep costs down and trying to help out reusing as much water as possible considering the current droughts :(

been following this as much as possible to ensure we do it correctly
Just need some guidance on the venting/layout and if that would actually work.

thanks again

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't think you can tie the sewer into the grey water system. If the toilet backed up you'd have poopy greywater. Just two separated systems I think.

That bit of wet vent between the two shower drains needs to be 3 inch.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks